Question about EHR incentive program and PAs

Checking out AAPA and I see this:

"Today we're asking all PAs to contact their Representatives and urge them to cosponsor HR 2729, the Health IT Modernization for Underserved Communities Act of 2011, a bill introduced by Reps. Karen Bass (D-CA) and Lee Terry (R-NE) to extend the Electronic Health Record (EHR) Medicaid incentive payment to all PAs whose patient volume includes at least 30% Medicaid recipients."

As far as I could gather from the reading I've done, in order to be an "eligible professional you need:

1. 30% volume Medicaide patient volume.

2. They’ve adopted and used a certified EHR technology.

3. They are not hospital based.

Where in the literature are PAs excluded as being eligible to receive incentive $? How does this compare to NPs? Has this issue yet effected any of you in your practice?

Checking out AAPA and I see this:

"Today we're asking all PAs to contact their Representatives and urge them to cosponsor HR 2729, the Health IT Modernization for Underserved Communities Act of 2011, a bill introduced by Reps. Karen Bass (D-CA) and Lee Terry (R-NE) to extend the Electronic Health Record (EHR) Medicaid incentive payment to all PAs whose patient volume includes at least 30% Medicaid recipients."

As far as I could gather from the reading I've done, in order to be an "eligible professional you need:

1. 30% volume Medicaide patient volume.

2. They’ve adopted and used a certified EHR technology.

3. They are not hospital based.

Where in the literature are PAs excluded as being eligible to receive incentive $? How does this compare to NPs? Has this issue yet effected any of you in your practice?

Here are the rules. There are two ways to get the money. The Medicaid route does allow PAs to get the money only if they are the director of the medical home. However, you must have 30% Medicaid patients and I think that program will be administered by the state. Most would qualify easier for the Medicare route, which is closed to PAs.

Yes, it does effect me . . . a bit. I knew in advance what the rules were. When I hired my SP, I put in his contract that the medicare money will be paid to him, then he must immediately write out a check to the practice for the entire amount. Otherwise he could keep it even though I'm the one who got the EHR.

Medicare Eligible Professionals:

• Must be a physician (defined as MD, DO, DDM/DDS, optometrist, podiatrist, or chiropractor) – mid-levels do not qualify
  • Must have Pa rt B Medicare allowed charges
  • Must not be hospital-based which is defined as having 90% or more of their covered
    professional services in either an inpatient (POS 21) or emergency room (POS 23) of a hospital
  • Must be enrolled in PECOS
  • Must be living (Social Security records are examined)

Medicaid Eligible Professionals:

• Must be a MD, DO, DDM/DDS or a Nurse Practitioner, a Certified Nurse Midwife, ORa Physician Assistant who is the lead provider for a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) or Rural Health Clinic (RHC).
  • Must either have 30% or more Medicaid patient volume (pediatricians must have 20% or more Medicaid patient volume) OR must practice predominantly in a FQHC or RHC
    with 30% or more needy individual patient volume. Needy is defined as patients who are Medicaid, Medicare, uninsured, under-insured, charity care and indigent care.
  • Must be licensed and credentialed
  • Must have no OIG exclusions
  • Must be living (Social Security records are examined)
  • Must not be hospital-based, which is defined as having 90% or more of their covered
    professional services in either an inpatient (POS 21) or emergency room (POS 23) of a hospital

Archived