Child Care during PA School

Hey all. I have an interview in Chicago and Philly at the end of this month for PA school:) YEAY! I am currently a single mother, and will be maintaining full custody of my daughter. My questions is, is there anyone who has been through PA school who can give me guidance as to how they maintained a balance between being a single parent, school, clinicals, study, ect.? My understanding is the classroom hours can sometimes go until as late as 7pm. My daughter will be 2-4 during my schooling, so not quite old enough for school per say. Anyways, it would just be helpful to know how someone else handled the situation. Thanx for the advice!

Unfortunately, I can't offer you too much, as I have no children yet. But this is just a friendly reminder to go ahead and consider your clinical schedule as well - Didactic hours ending at 7 may not be too big of a deal, but plan for overnight ER shifts, surgery mornings that start before 6, and admitting patients on Medicine when you honestly have no idea what time you'll get off as well. I'm sure where there's a will there's a way, but don't let the second year sneak up on you! Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Family members, new relationships....grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, partners, whomever you can recruit. I am assuming since you chose the words "retain custody" that sharing duties with the child's father is not on the table.

My wife and I used an aupair to do our day care while we worked crazy schedules. We contracted via an agency. The costs were high (7,000 up front then 200/wk directly to the aupair, plus room/board, we have three kids, we are guessing it cost us about 20,000/yr)The contract allowed for scheduling the aupair for up to 45 hours per week. The hourly restriction could be tricky but we managed to strike a good relationship with our aupairs and wiggled the hours around...50 hours this week, 40 hours the next, that sort of thing.

So if you can afford it, it worked well for us.

Archived