PCT HCE hours

Hi everyone :)

I am a newly certified nurse aid/ patient care technician and I will be using this to get my HCE hours. However, can anyone tell me how they possibly managed working 8-12 hour shifts at the hospital while still going to undergrad full time? This seems impossible to me considering I have class all day and need the time at night to study. I am probably going to have to only work during the summer and take an extra year before I apply to rack up the hours. But if anyone has any advice on how they did this while going to school I would appreciate it. Thanks!

I gave away a lot of my shifts at work to fellow co workers who wanted the extra money. This was an expensive option that may not work for everyone. Expensive by way of lost wages. However, the ends will justify the means. I also made sure I dialed in my study habits super tight. I trusted that my application would be carried by my extensive HCE hours, thus didn't sweat getting A's. I opted for B's and hoped for the best. The plan worked out for me.

I was a CNA for my HCE hours and worked 40+ hours M-F in an unrelated field at the same time. I also was taking a three credit hour course to finish up a prereq. I was able to set up my schedule to where I worked every other weekend as a CNA 7a-7p on Saturday and Sunday. It took about a year to get all of the hours but I couldn't afford to make the HCE job my primary income. It was definitely a taxing time, but it can be done. Also since you are planning so much time in advance you should be able to do it. Good luck!

Archived