Not Using "I" More than 5 Times in PS

I attended a "webinar" in which it was advised that if the word "I" is used more than 5 times in the PS, the PS should be rewritten. They were saying, "We get tired of reading, 'I did this, I did that...'" Since you're supposed to talk about yourself in 5,000 characters (or less), I find it nearly impossible to use "I" no more than 5 times! I was reading a pretty good sample PS (where, if I were on the admissions committee, I'd want to meet the applicant for an interview) and the writer used the word "I" 37 times!

Has anyone else heard of this "I" rule? Is there any truth to it? For those of you who have been interviewed/accepted, did you use the word "I" reasonably often enough in describing yourself/your motivation(s)? I feel that my PS is pretty good, but I definitely used "I" way more than 5 times.

Thanks for any input.

Okay...I heard about that rule of using 'I' more than 5 times...I don't really think its literally more than 5 times, but what they are saying is that do not use 'I' too much on your PS. Instead, use 'we, us, or ours' more often than 'I'. It will sound better for the readers I guess...also, you will sound more like a team player which as a PA, you have to be one :) I hope that helps.

I've heard of this rule and kept it in mind while writing my own PS. I think my count was ~25. But yeah, it's for the very reason you state: people don't want to read "I, I, I..." My brother mentioned my PS sounded a bit like a story, though, so I guess there's a fine balance.

Yeah, no way around using "I" more than five times in a personal statement. I lost count. I agree with PAMAC, and in general, following all the procedural tidbits you come across in writing a spotless PS really only serves to quell your voice, which is something committees are interested in "hearing." Write from the heart in a truthful manner (IMO), but of course keep it grammatically correct :)

Thanks for all the input/replies, friends. :) I feel better about my PS now. I have read over it 10+ times for spelling, grammar, syntax, word choice, etc. and the only reason why I felt unsure about it was because I came across that "I" rule!

-TMB123-

Archived