Rejected already...

I already got rejected by UTMB. ALREADY!

Not even sure what to think about this automatic HELL NO response from a program I thought I was a pretty good match for (compared to the admission stats they post on their website). I really liked their open house too (so if you are thinking about driving for 12+ hrs to attend the open house, I can now officially say it's not worth the gas money.)

Well, good luck to everyone else. At least UTMB won't leave you hanging all cycle if they don't like you. There is a plus side to everything. :;;D:

I already got rejected by UTMB. ALREADY!

Not even sure what to think about this automatic HELL NO response from a program I thought I was a pretty good match for (compared to the admission stats they post on their website). I really liked their open house too (so if you are thinking about driving for 12+ hrs to attend the open house, I can now officially say it's not worth the gas money.)

Well, good luck to everyone else. At least UTMB won't leave you hanging all cycle if they don't like you. There is a plus side to everything. :;;D:

word of advice... my brother in law went to the NP program at UTMB. He was denied almost immediately also and I encouraged and prodded him to follow up relentlessly until they could tell him why he was denied and what he needed to do to improve his chances. What he learned was that they had "misplaced" one of his transcripts. After he cleared that up he was told one of his stats courses was not acceptable as a pre-req. He knew he had verified with the UTMB admissions folks the semester before that if he took the course at SFA it would meet the pre requisites.

All in all, an no offense to UTMB, they seem to be very disorganized in their admissions review. So if I were you I would follow up extensively until you find out WHY you were denied. Who knows it could turn out to be a good thing if you have applied to another program.

JD

word of advice... my brother in law went to the NP program at UTMB. He was denied almost immediately also and I encouraged and prodded him to follow up relentlessly until they could tell him why he was denied and what he needed to do to improve his chances. What he learned was that they had "misplaced" one of his transcripts. After he cleared that up he was told one of his stats courses was not acceptable as a pre-req. He knew he had verified with the UTMB admissions folks the semester before that if he took the course at SFA it would meet the pre requisites.

All in all, an no offense to UTMB, they seem to be very disorganized in their admissions review. So if I were you I would follow up extensively until you find out WHY you were denied. Who knows it could turn out to be a good thing if you have applied to another program.

JD

just to clarify.. my BOL's statistics class WAS accepted, they had incorrectly told him it did not meet pre-requisite status. He enjoyed the program there though so don't let a negative review of teh admissions office deter you from what seems to be a great program.

JD

just to clarify.. my BOL's statistics class WAS accepted, they had incorrectly told him it did not meet pre-requisite status. He enjoyed the program there though so don't let a negative review of teh admissions office deter you from what seems to be a great program.

JD

I'm really sorry about your rejection :( Just out of curiosity, had you completed all of their prereqs? If that is the case, I asked them about the prerequisites at an open house session and from what I understood the response was that if you have more than 2 prerequisites in progress or to be completed in the fall semester when you apply, they strongly recommended not applying to UTMB that round and waiting until the next year. Best of luck in applying to other schools.

I'm really sorry about your rejection :( Just out of curiosity, had you completed all of their prereqs? If that is the case, I asked them about the prerequisites at an open house session and from what I understood the response was that if you have more than 2 prerequisites in progress or to be completed in the fall semester when you apply, they strongly recommended not applying to UTMB that round and waiting until the next year. Best of luck in applying to other schools.

I had my entire app package completed (UTMB pre-reqs done, GRE scores sent, all LORs in, etc.) when I hit submit, and it was mailed in the first batch. I received their supplemental early (maybe I messed that up somehow). I think they just have a lot of great candidates and my app doesn't match what they are looking for right now. My ego was bruised by the swift rejection but I'll recover if I don't get anymore this week. :)

I had my entire app package completed (UTMB pre-reqs done, GRE scores sent, all LORs in, etc.) when I hit submit, and it was mailed in the first batch. I received their supplemental early (maybe I messed that up somehow). I think they just have a lot of great candidates and my app doesn't match what they are looking for right now. My ego was bruised by the swift rejection but I'll recover if I don't get anymore this week. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Echoing the others, try not to be too discouraged. I was rejected from a program only to be accepted by my first choice. Keep at it and great things are bound to happen. And, even if you are not accepted this time around, strive to make your application even more competitive for the next round. There is definitely a plus to everything - it is all about how you see it.

• 3 weeks later...

@swimrgal02 - Hey there. I was thinking that you're right in that it's a good thing if they don't leave you hanging all cycle. I applied to UTMB last year (e-submitted August 2010) and it wasn't until March 16th (over 6 MONTHS later!) that I got a rejection e-mail from them. (I did not get an interview, but all cycle long I kept hoping that I would get that phone call or e-mail for an interview!)

This year I'm re-applying and I'll be driving down for the Open House today @ 1 P.M. Do you remember how much the parking garage fee was? It doesn't say on their website; just that parking is not paid for by UTMB.

Thanks, and good luck w/ the other programs you applied to!

-TMB123-

@swimrgal02 - Hey there. I was thinking that you're right in that it's a good thing if they don't leave you hanging all cycle. I applied to UTMB last year (e-submitted August 2010) and it wasn't until March 16th (over 6 MONTHS later!) that I got a rejection e-mail from them. (I did not get an interview, but all cycle long I kept hoping that I would get that phone call or e-mail for an interview!)

This year I'm re-applying and I'll be driving down for the Open House today @ 1 P.M. Do you remember how much the parking garage fee was? It doesn't say on their website; just that parking is not paid for by UTMB.

Thanks, and good luck w/ the other programs you applied to!

-TMB123-

I don't remember the exact parking fee. Bring $10 in cash and that should be plenty. You can probably park on the street if you are willing to walk (bring a campus map). There was not a tour after our open house but if you ask hopefully someone can show you around the campus.

I am glad they let me know quickly. I've had a few invites since, so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that I will be accepted somewhere. Good luck to you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

JD

UTMB's PA program admissions is completely separate from the school of nursing. A bad experience with one does not necessitate the other.

I'm happy to report I've had much better success at programs other than UTMB....thanks for all the kind words on this thread!

I'd tell any applicant to apply broadly, have all your pre-reqs finished if you are a career changer, and get decent HCE! Hang on for the roller coaster ride that is the interview process and don't be discouraged by a quick rejection if you know you have a solid app. Things will work out in the end. :)

Archived