CASPA Application: Awards, Honors & Leadership

I'm (hopefully) finishing my application today and wanted to get some feedback from folks on Awards. Academic stuff (scholarships, Dean's List, etc.) all make sense to place on there. However, for those with military experience, do we put down the awards we earned in the military (GCM, ARCOM, AAM, NATO, GWOT, etc.)?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich

I would say definitely put it. In the CASPA FAQ, it says:

"AWARDS, HONORS, AND LEADERSHIPList any honors or awards received, and positions of leadership you have held."

ANY honors or awards. The honors don't have to be academic. I think schools want to see that you don't just excel at school. I, personally, think military awards are impressive; they make you stand out from the crowd. Good luck with your application! :)

-Nicole

I talked to my first choice school's admissions counselor today and basically she understood my concern. I didn't want to shotgun blast the application with every award that I received (there are some that are "minor"), but at the same time, like you said Nicole, I want to show that I did stand out from even the military crowd and not just earned the 'automatic' awards that we are often given.

Thanks a bunch folks. Now on to revision #12 of my Narrative. Have a good one, but want a great one.

Rich

Archived