Laws Governing Medical Practice Ownership

Where do I go to find out legal information on who can and cannot own medical practices in AZ?

If you start a corporation and the corporation hires md's, pa's & np's to see the patients. Do the member(s) of the corporation have to be licensed provider as well?

Is there a state website that has all this information posted?

Where do I go to find out legal information on who can and cannot own medical practices in AZ?

If you start a corporation and the corporation hires md's, pa's & np's to see the patients. Do the member(s) of the corporation have to be licensed provider as well?

Is there a state website that has all this information posted?

I can only tell you about Washington state, but AZ may be similar. A LLC, can be a corporation whose members vary widely. A PLLC, is s professional corporation where all members are professionals of the same "type." My attorneys, who do mostly business law, weren't even sure that I a PA could own a PLLC and have and MD as a member. After investigating they concluded that we could and our charter says that all members are licensed to practice medicine, but doesn't have to be an MD, DO etc. but anyone, including PAs, who are licensed to practice medicine.

thanks for the response. Is there anyone in AZ with knowledge on the subject? I found this which was helpful: http://www.quarles.com/files/Publication/91318847-d241-4d64-8d24-1e6c23d212d2/Presentation/PublicationAttachment/3b43f40b-5425-4cfc-82d4-0467c72a445c/1_30_2009%20HL.pdf

but it is from 2009? I am a RN right now and my goal is to take over my father's family practice (he is a physician) I don't want to see the patients, I just want to handle the business side of things and hire docs/pa's/np's. If I can own the practice without even becoming a PA or NP that would be the best route for me.

Archived