Profile of a Physician Assistant in Psychiatry

A friend from my PA training here in the UK is working in psychiatry and has written a profile of his role for the news letter in his Trust, to raise awareness of what is still a relatively new role for the Trust. I have reproduced it below, with his permission.

A PA in Psychiatry

You may have read the exciting article in the Guardian Newspaper (Saturday 18th June) about the introduction of Physician Assistants (PAs) into the NHS workforce. PAs are an international professional role that started in the USA in the 1960’s to relieve the pressure on overstretched doctors in hospitals, GPs' surgeries and community services. The role has now been exported to the UK, Canada, Australia, Europe and South Africa. In fact it has proved so effective that in the USA alone there are nearly 70,000 certified Physician Assistants in clinical practice. There are currently 3 universities/medical schools in England that run the PA programme with the first course in Scotland due to start in September this year. Within the NHS it is envisioned that Physician Assistants will be a cost effective solution to relieve doctors of routine medical work leaving them to concentrate on more complex problems and will provide increased continuity of care within medical teams. My Mental Health Trust have already had two intakes of Physician Assistants and I started working in April this year with the Homeless Team. My role is to perform initial psychiatric assessments and physical examinations and to assist my consultant in out-patient clinics. All Physician Assistants are science graduates that study medicine on a two year post-graduate course. My first degree was in nursing and I had gained a Masters degree in Medical Law prior to enrollment in the PA programme. Despite these academic achievements I had to study hard to pass the anatomy and physiology, pathophysiology, clinical examination and advanced pharmacology modules that are part of the PA programme. Working in psychiatry is an enormous learning curve for me however the Homeless Team are a fantastically dynamic and dedicated group that have made me feel really welcome. Additionally I have a Consultant Psychiatrist that is very eager to teach and has been very supportive. So far nine NHS Trusts in the West Midlands have embraced the Physician Assistant role and its great to see my Trust investing in this dynamic and exciting new addition to the medical team.*

Archived