Appearing greedy when asking for paid PALS?

Guest ERCat

Today I scheduled myself for a PALS course as the hospital I will work at requires that I take it. I am new and will actually start the job next year. I noticed that the course is 16 hours (two eight hour days) and I will have to take time off work from my other job. I emailed one of the office ladies and asked if my group pays for our time to take the course, and before I could stop her she already asked the head doc (one of my SPs). :-( the answer was "No, we don't pay you for your attendance." They do pay for the course but not my time. I know some hospitals do and some don't. But.. Now I am feeling like I appear greedy. Is there a way to damage control this situation or am I overthinking it? The only other thing I've asked of them is if they pay for licensing and DEA (to which they replied I can use my CME).

I have run into this before and if you don't want to use CME days or don't have any-- take the online class through AHA. Next step: schedule a weekend day or off day at your local training center to complete the skills testing and written exam (takes about 2-4 hours to complete). I am an instructor and this is what most employees at the hospital do now who work EM. It fits into their schedule better and your local training center usually has testing options for every day of the week.

See here for AHA online PALS part one: https://www.onlineaha.org/courses

I hadn't taken PALS before either, but I did it online anyway. It's a lot of material, but they give you simulated cases online that you can practice with as many times as you need to. You get an online book with the course, but if you're like me you'll want a paper copy so that you can actually flip between sections, reference algorithms, and have the cheat-sheet that you can keep with you on the floor. Read the book. During the 2-4 hour session they'll demonstrate a couple of skills, have you practice, have you prove you can do BLS for children/infants, then test you on two scenarios. You have to pass everything, but the test scenarios were meant to show what you've learned, not make you fail. I preferred the online version to sitting in class for two days straight. 

I don't think you were greedy for asking for reimbursement for the class - it was worth a shot to ask for the paid time for training, and reasonable for them to say no. Consider it part of the negotiation process. 

Archived