Personal statment so far - appreciate any input

The first time I realized that I had made a difference in a patient’s treatment was a truly amazing experience, and one I will not soon forget. While working at the Diamond Headache Clinic as a biofeedback technician, a happy young girl came to her follow-up appointment eager to tell me some great news. She told me that she used the techniques I taught her, and that they helped her reduce the frequency and severity of her headaches. At the end of our session, she and her parents all thanked me for helping make this girl’s life less painful. It was one of the most fulfilling things I have ever experienced, and I continue to feel this satisfaction with each patient that I help.

There is a strong emphasis on how we spend our professional lives, and with good reason – what we do has a great impact on our lives, and defines us in many ways. Once I began researching the PA profession, I discovered that the more I found out, the more it seemed like the perfect fit for me. Since then, my motivation towards becoming a PA has strengthened after exploring the medical field, working collaboratively as part of a health care team, and seeing what it takes to practice medicine as a physician assistant.

Working as a biofeedback technician has allowed me to employ the same comprehensive and personalized care that is a corner stone of the PA profession. I enjoy exercising my ability to combine good listening skills with empathy, while remaining objective and professional. I feel a great satisfaction when a patient has left our office with confidence, and understands their treatment. This is not accomplished by itself – it takes dedication and patience on my part to make sure that every patient receives a more-than-adequate education on their treatment plan, and are comfortable with all the techniques before they leave from their appointment. I know that I have fulfilled my responsibilities when the patient leaves with a smile on their face, and a positive outlook on their future course of treatment.

Until working collaboratively with physician assistants as a medical assistant, my exposure to the day-to-day practice of a PA was limited. I have since learned how their essential skills and abilities are applied everyday to their practice, and how I can use my own personal strengths to benefit any healthcare setting where I may work. To be a PA not only requires a complete and comprehensive knowledge of medicine, but also the ability to apply their knowledge in a tactful manner. No two patients are the same – they each have their own questions and concerns, and respond differently to various treatments. After visiting with the physician assistant, however, they all leave with more confidence in their treatment than when they arrived, and are satisfied with their visit. This profound impact a physician assistant has on a patient relies on the practitioner’s ability to devote more time to each patient, assuring them of their treatment course, and answering any questions they may have with patience and confidence.

As our country strives to improve the modern healthcare system, we rely on the leadership and experience of its doctors, nurses, and physician assistants to guide its progress in the right direction. After working closely with physician assistants, the benefits of providing comprehensive and personalized patient centered care have become apparent to me, and I believe this unique approach to medicine will become even more vital to healthcare as more of our citizens have access to it. It is an exciting time to work in healthcare, and I look forward to providing my support and insight as it continues to advance.

For as long as I can remember, someone is always asking what we want to be when we grow up. For me, I have wanted to be healthy, happy and able to pursue the passions in my life. Since completing my undergraduate degree and working collaboratively with a health care team, I have seen clearly that the physician assistant’s career path allows me to have these things for myself. I look forward to the challenges, demands, and life-long learning opportunities that a rewarding career as a physician assistant has to offer. I am ready to devote my life to the study of medicine, and to satisfy my passion for helping others. Like any worth-while pursuit, the more I put in, the more I will get out. I’m all in.

First thoughts...not really sure what a biofeedback technician does and not really clear what sort of work you have done with the PAs...worked with...ok...but working doing what? Calling in test results? Forming care plans? Giving opinions on patients' unique situations? Any shadowing with PAs directly, especially in family practice or acute care? Is there anything else you can highlight like other medical experience, community volunteerism, specialty medical training that you attended?

I had not heard of the job before so I googled it. If I understand correctly, you apply sensors to a patient to measure a wide variety of physiological responses including skin temp and muscle tension to help the patient learn about their own responses to stress/tension, then give counseling to that patient to help them learn coping techniques. With that in mind, I think your personal statement may benefit from highlighting some cool parts of your job. Not just "i helped her feel better" but rather "I listened, observed, and educated my patient on methodology to help them find coping mechanisms for their persistent headaches." Really stressing the listening/interviewing aspects of your job.

I say this because if I just look at your job title at face value I can fall into the trap of assuming your hook them up to a machine, print out results, and give the results to a doctor. I think your job is not quite mainstream enough for everyone to have a full understanding of it, including AdCom members so I would highlight how it all ties into the world of PA

me: "So I have this application from a person who wants to be a PA...he is a biofeedback technician for a headache clinic".

peer: "great...sounds like they are working with people, talking with them about medical subjects. That is good stuff..but what is it exactly they do?"

me: "not really sure...give biofeedback about what may be causing their headaches maybe...not sure how they get that biofeedback. But they work with PAs"

peer: "excellent...what sort of work with the PA do they do?"

me: "not sure"

peer: "Ok...how are their grades? Involved in the community? Any specialty training? What degree do they have? I don't need details, just a quick snapshot to make this person stand out in my mind"

me: "not sure, wasn't mentioned"

Having experience talking with patients in a medical setting is a very strong thing. Highlight that more, and then branch out a bit to show some depth of character would be nice.

Sounds like a unique job and I'm sure it will help you as a PA in helping patients have better focus on themselves. Good luck with your application.

Archived