Ortho Vs Neurosurgery

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can give me some insight-- I'm a postgrad gen surg residency trained PA, and have been working in neurosurgery and now neuro critical care since I finished my year of internship. I LOVE neurosurgery; I enjoy the patient population and I like a busy paced practice taking care of sick patients. I enjoy the challenge. I also really enjoy the variety of pathology and understanding the mechanisms for the clinical presentations we see.

That being said, I've recently realized it's time for me to leave the east coast and move home to the midwest to be nearer to family. I'm struggling to find a neurosurgery position that has the combination of patient care and operative time that I'd really like to have. There are countless orthopaedic jobs out there, and they seem to have great income potential. I'm much less concerned with a paycheck, though, than I am with finding a position that I'll be happy in. Unfortunately, I have ZERO experience with ortho, so I don't really know whether it's something that might be a good fit given my experience. Obviously, there's the spine stuff in common, but I'm well aware there are a great many differences as well, in terms of the types of cases, types of patients, and general overall clinical management.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with both specialties and could offer any insight to what you think are the pros and cons of each, and whether someone with a background such as mine might be content in an orthopedic position?

Thanks so much in advance!

Archived