Looking to shadow a PA in Oregon this summer

Greetings,

My name is Anne and I'm a sophomore undergraduate student. I'm very interested in the PA profession, and in order to understand it in a fuller capacity I am hoping to shadow PA's this summer. If you have any information about possible shadowing opportunities in Oregon (especially in the Portland area) I would be very grateful if you would let me know!

Hi Anne,

Try contacting the OSPA or the yahoo group for Portland PAs.

But the best advice I can offer you is to get your certification for HCE of choice this summer or start planning for fall. That way you should be able to find a position to get your HCE that you will be working in contact with PAs (EMT/MA/CNA-2/etc). Try doing a search of this forum, there are lots of good tips.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Anne,

are you going to be doing the CNA to get experience before applying because i was also thinking of doing a CNA program this summerto gain experience. I live in Florida and I am also looking for shadowing opportunities like you.

I just want to know if I am in the right track for obtaining experience so I can start applying to PA schools.

Thank you for you help =)

Yes, I'm planning on working as a CNA for at least a year before I apply to PA school. You should definitely look into certification programs in order to begin acquiring direct patient care experience, as it is required for admission to most PA schools. CNA isn't the only option either, check out this forum for more information about experience hours.

Best of luck!

Archived