Talking a lot about one patient in PS?

Hi! First time poster, long time lurker...

Right now I am completely done with CASPA except for the PS. I'm having what I assume would be a common situation; that I don't have room to go into everything I'd like, and I have a few different experiences that I am considering basing my PS around.

I am a Home Health Care CNA who works >40 hours/week with a quadriplegic. I'm concerned that some schools may look down on this as it's not a clinical setting, so I am definitely planning to talk up the clinical experience that I do have. I am considering starting out with something from her life, such as "Not being able to brush your own hair, sit up in bed, or even walk. This is everyday life for my home health care patient." Then explaining what I have learned from her. I would mention how I spend 10 hours/day with her and see all the ins and outs of life with a chronic condition, so I have come to better understand what she goes through and have become more compassionate. (Versus seeing someone for 30 minutes in a clinic and then sending them out the door, where it is easier to remain emotionally distant from the situation.) I could also mention how I go to dozens of doctor appointments with her and see a variety of specialties in action, and have been exposed to many different types of bedside manner from physicians and PA's, which I hope to take the best of and incorporate into my future manner of practice. Then mention all my shadowing, volunteering, and grades.

Do you think this is a good start or an all-out bad idea? She knows I am considering writing from this angle and is fine with it. We've grown to be good friends. I guess one of my concerns is schools might think I am the type of person who would blabber about all my patients. I know HIPAA and the rules :)

My other "big things" I could base an essay around are the 10 days I spent volunteering in rural Belize (setting up and running clinics) or my experiences with my mom's breast cancer treatment. Would one of these be better? Thank you so much for any advice!

Guest guthriesm

Write them all. Seriously.

Your personal statement is about you and why YOU want/should be a PA. Try out several version of your PS and get people to read them. Ask them to tell you what they got out of the narrative- did you express your reasons, qualities, etc and how it relates to PA?

You might get half way through one and realize you hate it. Or you might love one of them and your reviewers fail to catch the point.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! I feel like it will be extremely difficult to do justice to all 3 of those major ideas and include everything else, but I will definitely try out writing a PS like that and see how it goes. Anyone else feel differently? Also, I love your Greyhound avatar! I'm a long distance runner and plan on getting a rescue in a few years for an exercise buddy...

I think there is great benefit in witnessing a variety of bedside manners/interactions. Being a patient is a wonderful way to learn what sort of medical provider you do, or do not want to be. The next best thing is to be with a patient during all their interactions. Especially a patient you can talk with later and get their perspective on that care provider. Once we start to practice medicine on our own in most clinical settings, it's rare we get to witness how other people work. Getting that exposure early I think is a pretty good thing.

I realize the bond between a patient you spend >40 hrs a week with will be stronger than a patient you see once every couple of weeks for a half hour, however, I would take steps not to do that comparison in a PS. I have had patients whom I spent less than an hour with but they impacted my entire life. I still can recall the name of the first child that arrested in my arms in 1991. Last night I had dinner with my close friend who is a PA who was sharing with me how one of her patients just passed away in a house fire. She only saw them perhaps once a month, but they shared a close bond.

I would not diminish the bond you and your patient have, as I am sure it's very close. I just would not mention that you feel it's more tight than a clinician's bond with their compliment of patients.

The PS is limited in allowed words. I would try hard not to describe in too much detail the hardships that your patient has as the AdComs are medical providers and are familiar with the limitations of your patient. Instead, perhaps you can reflect on the emotion/motivation you gain while you assist her in her activities of daily living. Something like that.

Make sense?

Yes, thank you very much! I hadn't considered that it might sound like I am insinuating that I am closer with my patients than a clinician would be. I was just trying to put my experience in the most positive light possible, so I'll have to be careful that there are no negative undertones. Thanks again!

Guest guthriesm

Enjoy writing your PS. Thanks for the compliment on my avatar.

For a counterpoint- I didn't actually mention any patients in my personal statement. I did cite examples of why my experience(s) had brought me to applying to PA school. Happy writing!

Archived