Second draft.

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone of you could critique my essay? I know it is long, but I feel it is all important. If you feel I can leave any of it out just let me know! Also, I don't like writing a "sob" story as I did in the beginning, but it really was the reason I got interested in medicine, and I was told by a writing center students that I should put it in. Thanks for the help!

----Walking into the ultrasound room I could feel the ever daunting epiphany of what I might be learning. The ultrasound tech prompted me to sit on the noisy, paper laden chair. “Just relax” he said. I laid down as comfortable as I could, while the tech placed chilled gel on my abdomen; he then prepared the machine. Once ready, he ran the transducer probe over my stomach, back and forth, as we both stared at the screen curiously. “Are those Cysts?” I asked. “unfortunately so” he replied. He continued for another few minutes or so quietly, wrote in his journal ,and left the room, letting me know I could take my time and leave when ready. I sat there by myself in silence, taking in what had just been confirmed.

That moment sitting in the hospital room i found out I had Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD). It is a familial disease, with each child having a 50 percent probability of inheriting it. I have been witness to many in my family who have fallen ill, recovered, then relapsed. All i ever wanted for them was some way to ease their pain. Being brought up by my grandmother when I was younger, I can remember most of her visits as she would be counseled by her physician and physician assistant. They would do regular physicals and check her routine creatinine levels for kidney functioning. Although they did a lot for her medically, I think their most effective measures were the encouraging words they provided that could lift her spirit, unlike the medications she was dependent on. I would sit there, watching curiously and quietly, to how they made her feel. Watching them interact with my family helped me choose a life of medicine.

Over the past few years I have explored many disciplines and interests in medicine. I obtained my EMT certification while going to OSU on the weekend. I have been able to use these skills by working with a private ambulance company on the coast. I took night classes to earn my phlebotomy certification. I set out on a two week journey to Belize; volunteering and providing medical services to the most underserved communities in San Ignacio, Belize. I even participated in a 10 week internship, shadowing doctors through multiple levels of healthcare in South Africa. Each of these experiences have given me insight on specifics of how and where I want to provide care. Traveling abroad I have been exposed to a whole new list of patients, many of which are in low income areas. When I become PA-C I hope to enroll in the Peace Corps for at least the minimum 2 year commitment, providing care to these individuals that need it the most. Upon my return I then hope to work in Oregon, specifically low income areas. These people need proper care and encouragement the most. Coming from a low income family, being the first in my entire family to attend college, I want to give back to those people who I grew up alongside.

Although I have not directly shadowed a Physician Assistant, I have a plethora of experiences interacting with them. Through employment as an EMT I have had many encounters with physician assistants in the emergency department and admitting facilities. I always take these opportunities to enquire about their career, why they chose it, and what they value in the profession. Through my commitment with the OSU Pre-PA club we invited a few local PAs, and PA school admissions committee members to come explain the profession in detail. I have discovered that PAs take on the majority of patient care, in contrast to a physician. PAs can move specialties relatively easy. I am a lifetime learner and have broad interests. Even though I may find one subject harder then another, I still respect it, and wish to continue learning. As a Physician Assistant I hope to apply skills that I have learned from working in multiple specialties to provide effective treatment to patients. PAs are one of the most team oriented career choices in medicine. PAs work under the supervision of physicians. while also working with other PAs, nurses, and the rest of the health care team. I understand PAs work autonomously, but their position encourages team effort to deliver effective patient care, more so than other positions. I admire PAs for their professional demeanor, flexibility, and relaxed nature.

Through my experiences associating with PAs as an EMT, medical appointments with my grandmother and aunt, I have a firm understanding of the PA job description and what it takes to practice. PAs are a perfect balance of compassion, patient care, and medical treatment. In  Belize, Africa, and here at home, I have had the pleasure of helping patients. When I see a rise in their spirit it reminds me of those days sitting next to my grandma at the hospital, and it all makes sense. Being an empathetic person, I know I am well suited; not just for a medical career, but for a life providing care as a Physician Assistant. I am excited to start changing others lives, as the medical providers have done for my family and I. -----

Archived