New Grad Offer in surgery

It is a surgery job with general, ortho and ob/gyn. VERY small critical access hospital community. 3 year contract! I would have to move my family to this small town in order to get the job. Past employees have commuted from a very large city about 45 min away, but this is not an option any more. 

Salary: 96,000 (46.15 per hour)

Sign on: 5,000

Relocation: 5,000

(both of these are contingent on moving to this town and signing a 3 year contract)

1,500 for professional fees, license, dues, subscriptions. 

9 paid holidays, 20 days PTO, 5 CME days with 1,500 allowance. 

Employer matching 401 K, life insurance, short and long term disability paid for by hospital, pretty good dental, medical and vision. 

I was told that they hired on a new grad last year and she was able to make about 150,000 her first year due to on-call work. In the contract nothing is said in regards to how much I get paid for on-call work.

What are your thoughts! Also after 2 years they will pay for me to get certified in wound care. I will also have the option of helping/working in small clinic sites on the weekends if interested. 

If you already have a family and generally fit in with the demographics of the area (both big caveats) small town life is great.   Actually, a big city 45 minutes away makes it almost suburban.    Just out of school, all of the wide-ranging surgical experience you could want including some general practice on weekends, relocation, sign on bonus, decent holidays and days off, and some opportunity for overtime (try to get in writing).  Employer matching retirement.  Half-way decent CME and good professional fee payments.  What else would you be looking for?   If such a job had popped out to me as a new grad I would think I had died and gone to heaven.   I guess the only problem might be work for your spouse if that is an issue, but with a close big city, should not be much of one unless  she or he already has a great job where you currently are but you likely would have mentioned that.  Might want to build in the ability for small  (5-7%) annual raises after acceptable evaluations to your contract.  Make sure that there is not a no-compete after contract ends since you would likely be very settled by then.   

Archived