Cardiology vs Internal Medicine

Hello everyone! I'm a new graduate PA who is considering job offers from the same academic inner-city hospital for either cardiology or internal medicine (same pay, benefits, etc). I would love to learn all I can about cardiology, but I'm not completely set on specializing in it for a career. I would be trained in either position and I know that I could learn a great deal and enjoy either one. Does anyone have any thoughts about which would be better experience as a first job that will prepare me for future jobs (I'm considering the possibility of ICU)? Thank you so much for your help!

Why do you think some specialties require a Internal Medicine residency BEFORE applying to the specialty...??

Probably because if you work Internal Medicine for 3-5 yrs to CEMENT "Medicine" in your mind... you will have set the foundation to work "comfortably" in most IM sub-specialties.

Just another opinion on the internet...

YMMV

Contrarian

American Board of Internal Medicine

The following are the subspecialties recognized by the American Board of Internal Medicine.

Internists may also specialize in "allergy" and "immunology." The American Board of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology is a conjoint board between internal medicine and pediatrics

I would go IM, hands down esp if you're interested in the ICU. People that work the ICU will tell you that the heart isn't their only concern...I've heard that. If you decide ED down the line you're more well rounded for that too. IMHO, what ever you decide good luck!

Off topic question, what does IMHO stands for?

I would go IM, hands down esp if you're interested in the ICU. People that work the ICU will tell you that the heart isn't their only concern...I've heard that. If you decide ED down the line you're more well rounded for that too. IMHO, what ever you decide good luck!

Off topic question, what does IMHO stands for?

IMHO...in my honest opinion...

Archived