Shadowing

Hi all,

I work at my local hospital and a coworker put me in contact with a fabulous PA who works on the hospitalist service. After speaking with her, she said she would happy to allow me to shadow her and make my own schedule etc. My question is how should we structure this? I am a rising sophomore in college and therefore have plenty of time to complete the required shadow requirements for PA school however I would really like to get a full grasp of the work she does as a hospitalist PA.

Thanks for your input,

Thomas

First of all, good for you for starting early. I started my shadowing kind of late. I got a good amount in with a nice handful of different PAs, but I could have done better if I'd started earlier. I agree with the above post. Find out a day that works best for her and shadow her for a half or even a whole day weekly. Get a good amount of hours in until you feel like you really understand her role, then start looking for others to shadow. Even ask her for anyone else she might recommend. Make sure to shadow a few different PAs to get a good idea of different specialties. 

Archived