Need critics!

Alright so I have completely changed my essay about 3 times now, and I think this one has been the best version. Please give me your honest opinions. Thanks!

As a child I watched my mother work with patients of all different backgrounds. As a physical therapist, she treated adults, teenagers, and toddlers who simply needed assistance in finding their motor skills. Her work was so intriguing to me that I would find myself trying to be involved in her visits. I would often watch her  and think, "I want to help those who can't help themselves", but I didn't quite understand what career path I wanted to follow. 

My own personal experience with healthcare is one of many which helped me find my career path. As a child I encountered many Physician Assistants and Nurse Practitioners whom I always thought were Physicians. Through these experiences the PAs treated me with a wealth of knowledge and connected with me on a personal level, opening my eyes to the PA career. The teamwork that they demonstrated with a supervising physician really attracted me to the profession because I felt especially cared for knowing that a team of providers was working to better my health. I became envious of the PA profession and the immense amount of medical knowledge they demonstrated, and my shadowing experience with Breathe America only exemplified that. 
Throughout my journey in preparing for a career in healthcare, I had many opportunities which reaffirmed my decision to become a PA. The most important in cementing this decision has been my work as a clinical research assistant. I have had the opportunity to work with patients before, but only in a volunteer setting. Assisting in the emergency room helped me experience a busy healthcare setting, but it did not help me much with patient care. 

As a clinical research assistant I have had my first opportunity to see patients everyday, and be highly involved in their care. Clinical trial patients are a unique group of people. Many have chronic conditions for which there is no ideal therapy. As a research assistant, I am at the front lines for getting those patients a new treatment which may not only benefit them, but also the future of patients in similar situations. In this environment, I work with a team to help my patients. I work with a variety of practitioners in managing their care during trials, and that relationship has mimicked that of a PA and MD. I enjoy the autonomy I have in patient visits, but I thrive from the interaction with my supervising physician in making decisions regarding their health. Furthering my education is the exciting next step in being able to provide complete care for my patients, and providing care in my under served community. 

Having a dynamic career in the healthcare field has been my goal for a long time, since witnessing my mother's patience as a PT. I have sought professional opportunities which aided in the development of transferable skills and I have observed health care practitioners which have further clarified my goals. While these experiences have been instrumental in my decision, I believe my own passion and dedication is what will make me a promising addition to a Physician Assistant Program. Doing so will give me the ultimate gratification because there is no better feeling than the one received while healing others.  

Archived