1st time applicant, any advice or criticism is welcome and appreciated!

“Chandler, your father has been in an accident and we are not sure if he is going to make it.” At the age of 14 those are the last words you want to hear. My father worked as a contractor and was on the roof of a building when a crane sent him plummeting to the ground. Luckily for my family, my father survived and was able to eventually go back to work. That would not have been the case without the work of the amazing health care providers that worked with my dad day in and out and helped me find my way into my passion for medicine and health care.

One clinician in particular prompted me to dig deeper into the medical field and choose my future calling as a Physician Assistant (PA). Carrie was a PA who worked in the Emergency Department of the hospital my father was sent to the day of his accident. Carrie was not assigned to help patients in the Intensive Care Unit but when she heard the miracle story of my father she soon wanted to help in whatever way she could. She would come in every morning to check on him, as well as the rest of my family. She would comfort my mom, brothers and I, saying all the right things to make us feel hopeful and optimistic in a time of utter devastation. She would come in and change my father’s positioning and medications in his IV. Despite Carrie’s hectic schedule, she always found a way to brighten our days and I soon looked to her as my role model. I wanted to do what she did. I wanted to address patients with professionalism and knowledge, yet ease their minds in times of havoc and be their safe haven. I found out later that Carrie was a PA and when my father finally woke up and began his yearlong journey back to normalcy, I decided that my purpose in life was caring for patients and helping those in need. Specifically, becoming a PA like Carrie.

During that hard time, my mother taught my brothers and I that “quitting” was not in our vocabulary and that every obstacle and challenge in life had a purpose. She taught us that perseverance and hard work were necessary to achieve your goal and so, I dedicated myself to my studies throughout high school and college to ensure I received the top grades that were necessary for PA school. My junior year of college I realized I could do something more to help others. I began working as a CNA in a center for children and young adults with cerebral palsy and other disabilities. I quickly learned that these individuals truly believed they were the lucky ones and they had a glow that radiated to everyone that surrounded them. I realized then that the attachment I had with those children and how much they meant to me was very similar to how PAs feel and interact with their patients. Working with them gave me a sense of purpose and even more motivation to continue working towards my goal of becoming a PA so that I could provide comfort and quality care to those who needed it.

Seeking to immerse myself further into a different medical vocation, I found myself working as a CNA in a dermatology office. I worked directly with patients, physicians, medical assistants, and physician assistants. The teamwork and trusting and honest relationship the physician and physician assistant displayed was something I admired and hope to have when I am a physician assistant. PAs do not need the credentials that a doctor possesses; they provide high quality care and attention to their patients. They truly care about their patients and their patient’s families while also commanding a respect that everyone in the office, including myself, wants to mirror. Being able to experience the manner in which PAs interact with their patients as well as the way they serve their physicians and other medical personnel in the office validates that this is what I am meant to do. My goal is to be a physician assistant. Being dedicated and striving to work hard in every position I have held, whether it be student, volunteer, or CNA, are qualities that have led me to where I am today. The road has not been easy, and there have been many hardships I have had to overcome, but with my desire and love for medicine and assisting others, I have persevered and created the path I want my life to take. Teamwork and perseverance are characteristics that I uphold and value. Being given the opportunity and the honor to become a PA is something I have imagined for many years and given the chance, I am confident I will overcome any obstacles that lie ahead and look forward to the challenge. 

I am having difficulty distinguishing why you want to be a PA vs a RN? You say over and over that you want to help people and provide quality care but many types of healthcare providers do this. Elaborate more on your experiences as a CNA with children with disabilities and patient interactions in the dermatology office. Show me don't tell me you want to help people. What experiences did you have with the children vs at the dermatology office? Try to be more specific with your examples.

Archived