Help! Prospective PA Student

Hi, I am currently a undergrad student in dietetics (registered dietitian).  After contemplating and having the career of a PA cross my path I am now thinking I am in the wrong major or possibly wanting to become a PA in my future.  I don't want to give up on everything I have worked for thus far in becoming an RD.  However, I have one more year left of UG and then my RD internship. I found out from the school I am looking to apply to for PA school would accept clinical hours as a dietitian for there 750 patient contact hours required.  Since I do not have my CNA I would need to acquire them in some way.  However, they recommended a more diverse set of hours the better would be an ideal candidate.  I currently have a 3.74 GPA and am contemplating making the switch fully and start to pursue my PA degree or finishing out my dietetics degree, complete the required internship after graduation (which would get me my clinical hours needed for PA school), get my license by taking my exam for RD, and then go back to be a PA.  I am unsure if that is a waste of time getting my RD and then going on for my PA.  Should I just get my CNA this summer and then change all my courses to become a PA rather then a RD?  Is there anyone out there who has both and finds a benefit to it?   I know what it takes to get into a dietetic internship inside and out. I have tons of volunteer and valid work experience plus a strong GPA.  I need the 101 on PA school.  That way if I do drop my dietetics degree I don't drop it and then not get into PA school which puts be back even farther in school. That is why part of me wants to finish my RD in order to have a back up plan in case PA school doesn't work out.  I at least have my RD and can go forth with that.  What recommendations do you have to be a strong candidate for PA school?  I need help!  I have 3 months this summer to figure out what I want to do to avoid wasted time and money going into my senior year of UG.    

• 5 weeks later...

I can't personally speak on the value of a dietetics degree for PA school, but....

PA school can be difficult to get into, even with that good of a GPA. If I were you, I would finish the RD and use it as a back up plan but also as a way to acquire the needed patient contact hours. Somehow, I don't think that patient contact hours through a CNA look better than hours through your RD (but I could be wrong). Also remember that while most PA schools require patient contact hours, if you were to apply to a different school than the one you're considering, they may not be so preoccupied with the hours being "diverse." I know the school I'm in was not particularly concerned about that. I hope this helps :-)

Archived