Rural MN job salary

Hi all, 

I am considering a rural MN job. I was wondering what would be a competitive salary range. I am a new grad and this job will be a full time position in Family Medicine with Urgent Care in a rural area with <5000 people. I have been unable to find the salary report on the AAPA website, so I am turning to you guys :)

Thanks!

This may not help you but I know a nurse who just passed her NP exams last May and got a job in rural care in FM with covering for same day appointments and she started at $95,000 per year, plus benefits.  This is rural care in Michigan in the UP.  She had about 20 years nursing experience before NP school.  Town of about 5,000 or so. 

On the one hand, cost of living is probably a bit less than in the Cities. On the other, there's a reason there is a job opening, and it stands to reason the competition won't be so great out in Greater MN, where there aren't new grads coming on to the scene every summer. So don't let them low-ball you too badly.

Completely pulling a number out of my, uh, back pocket, I would think $80,000/ yr would be insultingly low for a new grad in that situation.

Here in the Minneapolis suburbs, I do evenings and wekends in Urgent Care in the same building where people see their PCPs. I'm in a union, and we get a flat hourly rate. In the interests of keeping things Internet-vague and not spilling all our secrets, the hourly rate is not as high as the speed limit on 35W, but it's higher than the speed limit on county roads with lots of stop signs. With a full time schedule, it works out to low six figures.

And if it were me, I'd want to be very clear about call schedules, getting paid for at-home on-call time, and maybe even mileage allowances, if the job involves driving between affiliated sites or doing any hospital rounding. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived