Advice to first year students

Guest StaceyS.

I couldn't agree more!!! I just finished my first phase and started clinicals. I have a ton of advice on my homepage for students who want to read all about the first year and how to survive. It's nothing fancy but it's got everything from A-Z on what it's like, what to expect, and how to survive. http://www.pastudentdiaries.com

Along with the most common list, write out a list of the pathognomonic symptoms/signs of each disease! It's a life saver for exams!

Good luck!

Stacey

Guest StaceyS.

Also, to all the first years....

1. Remember why you chose to do this.

2. Laugh when you can

3. Laugh when you can

4. If you truly love medicine, the rest is just details.....

K...I'm done... :D

StaceyS., I just popped over and looked at your website. It's awesome! Outstanding. Thanks for making the link available.

So many of the things you say are SO, SO true! (Once I got the opportunity to tell an attending who asked me for a pen "My pen is already in your pocket...")

Very good reading. Thanks!

You will see it quite often in clin med and pathology. Most commons appear constantly.

Some are so remote. What is the most common cardiac valve involved in cocaine dependence on autopsy - the tricuspid.

What is the most commonly fractured bone of children - the clavicle. Which part is most commonly affected - the middle third. Toolman is correct. There are thousands of most commons and they are always good for an additonal 6 to 10 points or more on exams.

:)

Fortunately (for my grade) our school didn't put much weight on knowing commons for tests. But Marlene's got an excellent point. If a teacher's got to pick things out of what he/she taught to test on, commons are immensely easy things to write questions on....

• 6 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived