da Vinci Surgical System (robotics) - do you first assist?

Guest lisnek

Do you first assist on da Vinci robotic cases?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do you first assist on da Vinci robotic cases?

• Yes
    • No
    • I've never heard of it
    • I am currently being trained and will eventually first assist

Our hospital has a Da Vinci, which is primarily used by the urologists. We have used it on cardiac cases. I have scrubbed on a few but it is extremely tedious since the most you do as a first assist is change out the instruments. Usually we have the scrub assist (I answered No).

i agree that it is tedious.

at our hospital they do not let SFAs assist on robotic cases.

BTW i do more than just change out instruments. i clip, cut, at times lyse adhesions, suction, etc - on partial nephrectomies, we are responsible for clipping the renal artery and vein (w a bulldog). not something you want someone not experienced doing.

• 7 months later...

It's a cool piece of technology but is there any decent outcome data that supports the cost of the device?

Several of the urologists that I have spoken with and have used it say that there is no data showing improved outcomes and TURPs actually take longer with the Davinci system.

I know it is cool and all, but what is the big deal if it has no decent outcome data and actually takes longer to perform a procedure?

I was the primary first assist for one of our CVT surgeons. We do Mitral Valve repair, and I do way more than change out instruments. On MVR's the bed side assist..PA, does all the knot tying, port placement, equipment placement/adjustments, and bedside trouble shooting. The surgeon is focused only on the field of view, you are his eyes and hands everywhere else.

Our hospital also uses it for Urology and Gyn cases. I have been told the the drawback for Urology ie..Prostatectomy, is it is a much longer surgery. The benefit I have heard is instead of an average of 900 cc of blood loss they are seeing about 50cc.

Just my experience,

I do first assist on robotic single vessel coronary artery bypasses, where the da Vinci is used for lima take down only. Our physicians have yet to start doing MV repairs.

I was initially trained at the Sunnyvale headquarters to first assist robotic gastric bypasses. I continue to first assist these procedures on occasion, as well as robotic prostates, and robotic hysterectomies.

If you ask me, the greatest benefit of using the Da Vinci system is its selling point for your particular institution. Patients often want the latest and greatest. Some ask for it by name.

• 3 years later...

I work in Gyn Oncology and cover Robotic Hysterectomies for complex gyn cases and staging procedures for cancer. It is very nice technology and it is very important to have a trained assistant. I do admit though after assisting in over 300 cases, they can get boring for the surgical assist, especially if your surgeon is well trained and really knows how to retract for themselves and lyse their own adhesions. Overall, Robotics is better for the patient with shorter lenght of hospital stay, less wound complications, blood loss, and quicker return to work. I really don't believe that a resident with no robotic experience should be assisting because the Davinci is a very complex machine and the intricacies of it cannot be learned in a short 4 week rotation.

Archived