PANRE

Based on the time of your post, I can see you are having trouble sleeping too.  I found the exam difficult.  Of the four sections, one was particularly more difficult than the other three. I walked out of there feeling happy it was over, but scared I might have to take it again in 3 months.  I loathe this entire process: studying for months; coming out feeling like a complete idiot; not knowing exactly when I will get my results; waitong full three months to retest, if failed; financial consequences of failing, etc. 

At this point I just want to know SOMETHING.  Some people say they check under "Verify PA Certification" because that is updated BEFORE the email is sent out.  I don't know if this is true or not.  I have been checking it and nothing has changed for me.  Some say scores come out qThursday, but based on what has been posted, some have gotten their scores on a day other than Thursday.  It seems some are getting their scores in a matter of days, while others are waiting 10-14 days.  NCCPA says it takes up to two weeks.  Don't know why the disparity; stikes me as strange.  May have to do with varying number of tests to score.  Who knows?!

I took the PANRE earlier this month (Dec 5) and received my results on Dec 15. I also thought the test was incredibly difficult (I took the Primary Care Exam). I think it's normal to walk out feeling like you might have failed. Some how I passed. Still haven't found the answers to some of the questions even on Uptodate/various literature. Best of luck for good news soon!

I took the PANRE earlier this month (Dec 5) and received my results on Dec 15. I also thought the test was incredibly difficult (I took the Primary Care Exam). I think it's normal to walk out feeling like you might have failed. Some how I passed. Still haven't found the answers to some of the questions even on Uptodate/various literature. Best of luck for good news soon!

You may never find the answers to those questions.

Realize that there are questions on the PANRE that are there to be tried out, think of it as a test of the test.

If the question passes statistical muster, it will be continued in further versions of the exam. If not it is discarded.

Remember that 98% of PAs pass the PANRE, you are being compared to others in the statistical cohort, usually several thousand other PAs whom took the test within the last 5 years.

While you walk out of PANRE feeling you failed, and you may have on a strictly percentage basis, in comparison to others within the cohort, you actually passed with much room to spare.

Dont confuse PANRE with the formative exams you took in PA school at the end of the cardiology block. These exams are similar to the PackRat and other summative exams whose scores are statistically derived given the significant breadth of knowledge tested.

So unless you have been under a rock for the last 5-6 years, if you spent some time preparing for PANRE, if you practiced in some broad area of medicine such as IM, EM, family practice, you likely passed with a reasonable margin.

Then the rest is just anxiety management. Faith in divine intervention, faith in yourself, faith in statistics and probability, what ever anyone wants to use, I will take the plunge and congratulate all of you on passing. Now you dont have to do it again for 10 years!

Just remember not to schedule your next PANRE before a major holiday.

G Brothers PA-C

Archived