HCE Question: Get my CNA Cert or not?

Hi All,

I have been lurking on this forum for quite a while and must say that you guys give the best advice. So I'm looking for a little help.

I currently work at my local hospital as a tech on the night shift. I'm looking to switch over to days simply because I get 0 interaction with doctors and PAs at night. I only see them when a code is called and they're far from interested in having a conversation at that point, if you know what I mean...

I am considering taking the time to get my CNA certification as opposed to staying as a pct. Would you think that a cna working in the hospital over a normal PCT is a better route or just a waste of time and money? And do you think PA schools prefer PCTs in the ER as oppsoed to the ICU or any other unit?

I currently have 850 hours as a medical assistant at an ophthalmology office and 1000 as a PCT, just for background.

Thanks so much in advanced!

As I understand it PCT and CNA are synonymous. If you can get the job without the additional training/certification then go for it!  I cant say for sure because Im so early in this process, but I dont think adcoms are as concerned with exactly where you get your HCE (er, icu, ect) as they are with your job duties and exposure to the health care field. 

I see no benefit in getting your CNA certification if you're already working as a PCT in a hospital. I'm sure you could switch to days/evenings without having to get your CNA certificate. Working as a CNA/PCT in the ER or ICU might look good on paper, but our abilities are pretty limited there. I worked in the ER yesterday as a PCT. Basically all I can do is perform EKGs, take out hep-locks, run samples down to lab, fetch patients drinks & food, and rarely assist with patient's ADLs (since most are independent). The nurses in the ICU usually take care of everything since there's a low number of patients per nurse (at least at my hospital). There's only 1 PCT that works in our ICU 7A-3P M-F.

I think you already have plenty of HCE, but if you want more I would personally try to find a float pool position (allows you to work everywhere). Good luck!

Archived