2nd/3rd Time Applicant Advice and Input.

Hi Folks,

I've always gotten great input whenever I've posted a question or comment on this forum. So, here's another one. I'd like some brutally honest feedback because it will help determine how I spend the next 6-12 months. Before I ask the main question, here are my stats:

Overall GPA: 2.96

Science GPA: 3.46

Last 60 hours: 3.8ish

3000+ plus hours as an ER tech, volunteer EMT, paid EMT and CNA.

Multiple other positive application attributes like advanced health care certifications, great letters of reference, shadowing, etc.

Now, onto my main concern. This is my second cycle applying, and I'm pretty much slated to receive all rejections. Most of the schools I applied to have already formed their classes, so I'm already looking ahead to this coming cycle. I've decided to go back to school full-time starting now and continuing into the spring and first part of the summer. Assuming I get all A's, which I've been able to do for the past three or four semesters, my GPA will look like this:

Overall: 3.2

Science: 3.57

I understand that it probably wasn't the smartest idea to apply to schools this cycle with a 2.96 overall GPA. In my defense, I thought the high science GPA would have padded it, coupled with the fact that my undergraduate education came from one of the best schools in the country where getting C's and B's was totally acceptable and somewhat the norm (mostly because the professors I elected to take encouraged real learning rather than focusing on grades). I believe a reflection of the learning I did in college shows through partly by the fact that I got a near-perfect score in the verbal section of the GRE. Then, I did what many PA applicants do and took post-bacc classes (also at another great college) to boost my GPA.

I'm going to apply this coming cycle (2015). 

My questions: First, will I at least have a reasonable chance of getting interviews with the 3.2/3.57 GPAs? Second, if I don't get interviews with these grades, is there a next logical step? At this point, each additional A that I earn essentially has a negligible impact on my GPA, raising it something like .01 or less. I already have the opportunity to enroll in a Master's in Public Health program. Would getting the MPH help me getting into PA school? Or would it be better to continue taking undergraduate classes?

At this point, I am discouraged having not received interviews. I believe I have already shown enough commitment to the PA path to refute any skeptics (feel free to disagree with me here). So, is it REALLY worth it to spend another year in school, investing tens of thousands of dollars and a very significant amount of mental energy in order to raise my cumGPA from a 3.2 to maybe a 3.3 at best?

I know this post is a tad scattered. I'm trying to discern the most efficient path forward in order to finally get an interview as a third- or fourth-time applicant. Thanks in advance!

Phil

My stats

Overall:3.6 gpa

Science:3.5

Medical research: 5000 hours

shadowing/volunteering: 600 hours

GRE: verbal 143

Math 147

This was my third year applying and my third year interviewing at schools and being waitlisted. As far as advice I wish I could say stay encouraged and keep trying to improve your application but I'm in the same boat. I am not looking forward to being a fourth time applicant!

Hi Folks,

I've always gotten great input whenever I've posted a question or comment on this forum. So, here's another one. I'd like some brutally honest feedback because it will help determine how I spend the next 6-12 months. Before I ask the main question, here are my stats:

Multiple other positive application attributes like advanced health care certifications, great letters of reference, shadowing, etc.

Now, onto my main concern. This is my second cycle applying, and I'm pretty much slated to receive all rejections. Most of the schools I applied to have already formed their classes, so I'm already looking ahead to this coming cycle. I've decided to go back to school full-time starting now and continuing into the spring and first part of the summer. Assuming I get all A's, which I've been able to do for the past three or four semesters, my GPA will look like this:

I understand that it probably wasn't the smartest idea to apply to schools this cycle with a 2.96 overall GPA. In my defense, I thought the high science GPA would have padded it, coupled with the fact that my undergraduate education came from one of the best schools in the country where getting C's and B's was totally acceptable and somewhat the norm (mostly because the professors I elected to take encouraged real learning rather than focusing on grades). I believe a reflection of the learning I did in college shows through partly by the fact that I got a near-perfect score in the verbal section of the GRE. Then, I did what many PA applicants do and took post-bacc classes (also at another great college) to boost my GPA.

My questions: First, will I at least have a reasonable chance of getting interviews with the 3.2/3.57 GPAs? Second, if I don't get interviews with these grades, is there a next logical step? At this point, each additional A that I earn essentially has a negligible impact on my GPA, raising it something like .01 or less. I already have the opportunity to enroll in a Master's in Public Health program. Would getting the MPH help me getting into PA school? Or would it be better to continue taking undergraduate classes?

At this point, I am discouraged having not received interviews. I believe I have already shown enough commitment to the PA path to refute any skeptics (feel free to disagree with me here). So, is it REALLY worth it to spend another year in school, investing tens of thousands of dollars and a very significant amount of mental energy in order to raise my cumGPA from a 3.2 to maybe a 3.3 at best?

I know this post is a tad scattered. I'm trying to discern the most efficient path forward in order to finally get an interview as a third- or fourth-time applicant. Thanks in advance!

Phil

Keep trying Phil! It is never a bad option to get more schooling, if anything it shows dedication! My GPA is very similar, granted it is not <3.0 but in the 3.2-3.3 range. However, I have a ton of HCE and as an older student I addressed this in my CASPA narrative. Alas, I have received a number of interviews. take home point: spend time on your APP. it took me several months to put mine together and I took my time. Granted the clock is ticking and seats are being filled everyday.

There are also schools out there that will only focus on the last 30-40 credit hours regardless of undergrad performance...its all about trends

My stats

Overall:3.6 gpa

Science:3.5

Medical research: 5000 hours

shadowing/volunteering: 600 hours

GRE: verbal 143

Math 147

This was my third year applying and my third year interviewing at schools and being waitlisted. As far as advice I wish I could say stay encouraged and keep trying to improve your application but I'm in the same boat. I am not looking forward to being a fourth time applicant!

one glaring stat I don't see is any 'hands on' HCE and a sub par GRE.  I would spend time on those two things.   I took the GRE 3 times to get the score that was 'acceptable' to me. however, I question how much stock programs put into GRE scores, its more for validation IMHO.

one glaring stat I don't see is any 'hands on' HCE and a sub par GRE. I would spend time on those two things. I took the GRE 3 times to get the score that was 'acceptable' to me. however, I question how much stock programs put into GRE scores, its more for validation IMHO.

Sadly enough I've taken the GRE twice, but do plan on retaking it again and again and again! I'm just a horrible test taker and for that reason I only apply to schools that don't require it, so the Hands on HCE is my biggest downfall. Here's to another long year of applying and waiting

I've decided to go back to school full-time starting now and continuing into the spring and first part of the summer. Assuming I get all A's, which I've been able to do for the past three or four semesters, my GPA will look like this:

2-3 years of straight-As before applying to PA school is a great attribute to have. It shows dedication and drive to succeed in becoming a PA. I was in a similar scenario as yours and schools saw that I had an up trending GPA as I started learning toward PA and taking pre-reqs. I went from a 2.8GPA as a sophomore to a 3.44GPA as a senior. Schools will recognize this if you bring it to their attention (in personal statement and interview) and it will benefit you greatly. Good luck!

Sadly enough I've taken the GRE twice, but do plan on retaking it again and again and again! I'm just a horrible test taker and for that reason I only apply to schools that don't require it, so the Hands on HCE is my biggest downfall. Here's to another long year of applying and waiting

did you already apply for this cycle? if so, which schools?

My a advice is to look at schools which put a BIG emphasis on your last 40 credit hours - Pacific University comes to mind... There might be others, but do a little research.

While at Pacific for an information session they remarked that the last 40 credit hours composes 1/3 of your application!

Their breakdown was something like

1/3 cumulative GPA

1/3 HCE/volunteer

1/3 last 40 credits

And when you interview it's a clean slate - so no worries about your past!

Honestly though your upward trending GPA will really help you out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Folks,

Phil

How many schools are you applying to? And are you willing to move? These important factors because, even though your GPA is below 3.0, I have seen schools that accept near 3.0 GPA or they look at the last 60 credits if your GPA is under 3.0. 

My GPA was average and and HCE was kind of lacking, but I decided to cast a broad net and applied to 18 schools this cycle (kind of overkill in retrospect) with my current experience not expecting to get in, but so far I've gotten two interviews, 1 acceptance (my top choice), and still waiting for about 6 more to reply. I started off with 4 rejections, but that's ok, it was to be expected.

Besides the GPA, your other stats look way better than mine so don't feel discourage. Make sure you apply to some safety schools as well. You will get an interview with 3.25 GPA, and for sure with an MPH, accounting that your PS and LORs are decent. You will find a way if this is your passion, good luck.

Archived