Rejected from Nursing, continue with my bio degree?

Ochem is nothing like Gen Chem. I actually found that gen chem is pretty useless for orgo. I don't know why they have you take gen chem first. I found orgo easier. It just depends on the type of person you are. If you hate gen chem because of all the calculations, you might just love orgo because it makes perfect sense if you get your mind to the point of understanding very few basics of how organic chemistry works.

• 9 months later...
keep in mind a few things about nursing... EVERYONE is trying to get into nursing school right now because its "recession" proof (supposedly). and the prereqs are generally easier to wade through while you are getting an english or political science degree, so you end up with plenty of competition from folks in places that you wouldnt always expect.... and its easier for them to get good grades with their semesters than it is for you as a bio major. what i wish i would have done is just been a health science major and cherry picked my biology coursework as electives. like mktalon said, the "______ for healthcare" classes are code for "______ made easy so you can get on with moving toward whatever field you are going for". and smart kid who is pusuing a business degree, or elementary ed these days can see the writing on the wall that there isnt a job waiting after undergrad, and take a couple semesters of coursework to suddenly be on equal footing with you for a nursing program. they probably would be in a better place than you because nursing programs dont put a premium on how much biology you know. case in point, a local ASRN program would pit my upper level college gen chem grade up against someone elses high school chemistry grade, just because i didnt take chemistry in high school (high school chemistry or chem 101 in college is a prereq). i skipped both hs chem, and chem 101 and got C's in gen chem, and B+'s in ochem, and a B in biochem. so at this point, i would be sitting on 5 semesters more chemistry knowlege than an applicant that got a B in hs chemistry, but they would be on higher ground than me if i were to apply. oh, and they would give me 1 out of 50 points for having health care experience at that school (health care experience can be anything from paramedic to "taking care of ill relatives"... i kid you not. you get 2 points on their scale just for taking english 101. you might be in a similar boat... biology major, emt, good hce, but the powers that be in nursing want an poli sci major with only watered down prenursing coursework over you.... it sounds screwed up because it is.

but you should have applied to more nursing programs if you were set on nursing. there are no shortage of them around, but im pretty sure they are all getting slammed by all the unemployed that want to go back to school and provide. its rough, and its not getting any better.

Maybe you should have applied to a BSN program PAMAC; then you'd see the applicants applying have taking chem I/II, o chem, bio I/II, anat, physiology... all with pre-med/bio majors. It seems you have a problem with nursing, which is weird because you are in nursing school. The PA program I am accepted to, had less prerequisites than nursing school. Oh and BTW, check out U of Texas at Austin nursing application requirements: College level O chem (I've never heard of a program accepting high school level Chemistry.. not even AP is accepted)... sorry dude you try and talk down nursing but it sounds like you chose a program that isn't challenging. Off the topic, but it's getting annoying that you try and dis the nursing education every chance you get.

http://www.utexas.edu/nursing/docs/bsn_degree_plan_08.pdf

http://www.utexas.edu/faculty/council/2009-2010/uc_change/nursing/nursingsci.html

UT updated requirements from O Chem and Chem I. When I was applying to nursing Organic Chem was required (see above link). However, not really the point. I didn't resurrect an old thread to mention the above; there has been a sort of a theme in many of your posts on this forum (including recent posts...). I keep running into them as I research NP vs PA...

I guess I don't understand what you mean when you say: "easier" classes? Like I mentioned, all my prereq's were with Premed/bio students... so I was able to use all the same classes to apply for nursing and PA...

BTW... Principles of Chem I is General Chem... And yes Gen Chem is required at many BSN programs. And why are we comparing BSN to PA? I would hope a Master's prepared PA takes more difficult classes than undergrad nursing?

I know you like to be a contrarian, so I'm leaving this post as non-confrontational. I know the idea of inter-professional teamwork is hard for some people to grasp... I'm not adding fuel to the fire on this debate; just merely defending my education.

Archived