Personal Statement-Help Please

I've always had a fascination with building things and finding out how they work. From my childhood I have fond memories of assembling Transformers and Power Rangers Megazords. Science was my other passion. Every day I used to watch Animal Planet and I had dozens of National Geographic books that featured profiles of different animals. My two childhood passions transferred over to the classroom. In biology class, my love and natural curiosity towards animals were quenched as I learned how these magnificent creatures work and operate. I was fascinated by the way nature organizes itself, starting at the cellular level and building up to the organism level and beyond. I was intrigued by each organism's give and take relationship with the environment and how everything is codependent. Going into the field of medicine provides me a way to serve the community while using my  passion for biology in a constructive and fulfilling way.

I first learned of the physician assistant profession my freshman year of college and fell in love with it. I was interested in the ability to switch between specialties and the teamwork aspect of the career. With this goal set in mind, my grades and studying habits steadily improved until my junior year with the passing of my grandmother and cousin. I became unfocused and unmotivated to where I became complacent with the effort I was putting forth in my classes. I began to question if I could really handle a career in healthcare. Near the end of my junior year, I began shadowing my first physician assistant.  My first shadowing experience made my goal of being a physician assistant much more tangible and revitalized my interest in school. With this new experience under my belt, I improved my studying habits and began a routine of volunteering and shadowing. Each PA that I shadowed or volunteered with had their own unique way of providing care that made them great clinicians. They all showed immense dedication to spending quality time with every patient and thoroughly educating them. They built such strong relationships with their patients they sometimes end up treating the entire family. The trust I have seen between the physician assistants and their patients have given me an idea of what kind of healthcare provider I want to be. 

My experiences as a physical therapy technician and EKG technician have given me a drive to provide quality healthcare and compassion to the people I serve. As a physical therapy tech, I had my first opportunity to be hands on with patients and help them in a more direct way. I loved seeing the patients go through their ups and downs, slowly progressing towards recovery. I enjoyed spending time with patients and building genuine relationships with them. Working with a medically underserved community and critical care patients as an EKG technician, gave me a different perspective on being a healthcare provider. Providing EKGs for various departments in the hospital allowed me to interact with patients from different walks of life with an assortment of ailments. It amazes me that a simple gesture such as thanking a patient or acknowledging a family member can make their day. As with any job there are trying times such as dealing with critical patients or a code blue, but as long as I know that I provided the best care possible in a kind and considerate manner, it makes it worth it in the end. These are the moments that make me proud of being a healthcare professional.

A physician assistant is a caretaker of not only the affliction, but also the afflicted. You are treating the patient and their families as if they were your own. I believe I possess the qualities to become a physician assistant by building quality relationships with patients while providing great care.

No matter what field you're in ?

If you've got goals that you simply wish to achieve you are doing not wish to let something change your way! If you're wanting to urge into the medical field or another skilled business, you will be observing fellowships to advance your career.However these aren't positions that ar simple to urge. The fellowship is completed when a residency, and with numerous folks attempting to get this position you would like to point out that you simply are completely different than others.

Archived