Rough Draft of PS. Please critique.

Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks! 

It has always amazed me how a small mixture of a chemical substance, such as a tiny pill or nebulizer treatment can have such a alleviating affect on the human body tremendously from any distress.  Through the 23 years of observing, learning, and caring for my grandfather, with a history of multiple cardiac risk factors such as Chronic  Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) and Hypertension, it continuously seizes to amaze me how much improvement my grandfather’s breathing would become after a dose of Albuterol nebulizer treatments.  At this moment in my life is when I realized my interest in the medical field and the human body and how it works.  

As I entered my collegiate years, I knew I wanted to pursue a career in the medical field but there were many endless medical professions that I was uncertain which career I really wanted to pursue. Thus, I shadowed many different fields in medicine, from optometry to family practice, and I found each of the different fields extremely intriguing. Therefore, I was in search of a career in medicine that incorporates and exposes me to the different types of fields .This is when I stumble upon the opportunity of becoming an emergency medicine scribe.

Throughout the years I have been an emergency medicine scribe, I was able to work apart a medical team and be exposed to all the different types of cases, from conjunctivitis, which would most likely be treated with antibiotics, to more acute cases, such as appendicitis and STEMIs that are in need of an appendectomy or cardiac catheterization. As a scribe working along with medical team to care for the unexpected, I have been able to sympathize and empathize with numerous, diverse patients who come into the ED seeking help, whether it may be peace of mind or treatment. My passion for medicine has tremendously flourished with the exposure to the diverse cases and scenarios I experience as a scribe.

There are many families throughout the world that do not have the opportunity to obtain healthcare. Coming from a family where half of my uncles and aunts are immigrants in the state and the other half is still in China, I understand how much of a necessity healthcare is and how difficult it is to obtain.  There are many goals I would accomplish as a Physician Assistant. It deeply saddens me that families in underserved countries and areas, such as mine in China, are not easily granted the opportunity to receive and obtain the healthcare they need.  Therefore, I would want to extend our knowledge and healthcare to third world countries through medical mission trips, which are not as privileged as we are.

Also, I believe the practice of medicine has been progressing in the direction towards substance abuse. It amazes me how many narcotics and pain medications are prescribed to patients in the United States instead of turning to alternative practices of medicine, such as integrative or osteopathetic. Studies have shown that these alternative practices of medicine have been as effective to alleviating pain without the harm and addiction of narcotics to our bodies.  Thus, with my mediocre grades in my collegiate years, I will continue to strive to become a Physician assistant because the smallest amount of gratitude of knowing you helped someone live another day is what I can never get enough of. 

Archived