My finger is on the submit tab-- any last peer reviews?

Pretty much done.  Wondering if anyone could give it a read and offer last minute advice.  Thanks.

“Help! HELP! My brain is about to explode! I’m having a stroke or a heart attack or an aneurism and my back and my stomach hurt so bad and I can’t feel my feet! Oh, I can’t even stand still I’m in so much pain!  Why doesn’t anybody do something?”  Here I am in a crowded downtown ER watching this patient rile up the waiting room exclaiming she is having every medical emergency known to man.  I take a deep breath, stand up from my chair, and approach her: “Ma’am, I need you to stay calm and seated.  We’re very busy right now and when a spot opens up I will take you back.”  She peers up at me crookedly and says: “Okay, and make sure you tell the doctor I need dilaudid.  That morphine stuff doesn’t do anything for me.”  With a feigned smile I nod and head back to my desk.  The front door then slides open and stumbling in comes Mr. X.  We all know Mr. X, a man who has lived on the streets for most of his years and whose odor matches his appearance.  I cordially greet him, “Hey Mr. X, what brings you in today?”  Behind worn out eyes he looks at me and says, “Son, I don’t feel good.  My chest hurts.”  I take him back to perform an ECG and my eyes open wide.  He is having a full blown STEMI, time to move.

I love the sheer grit that comes with working in the medical field.  It is not all glitz and glamour like they portray on television.  Some days after work I leave totally exhausted with a sour taste in my mouth.  Other days I leave with a sense of accomplishment, like I did something that changed someone’s life.  It is a job that at times can be an emotional rollercoaster.  But, I have to admit, I love taking the ride.  This is why I know the medical field is right for me. Currently, I aspire to become a physician assistant.  This position will allow me to be on the front lines of medical care and afford me the opportunity to use critical skills and judgment.  As a physician assistant I feel I will be able to utilize my full potential in providing care for patients.

Working as an ED Tech in the emergency department I am able to encounter a wide variety of patients with a wide variety of medical problems.  Whether it is a fourteen year old boy who injured himself skateboarding or a seventy year old woman in respiratory distress, we at the emergency department have a duty to treat them all.  This can be a difficult task when taking into consideration the “everything in between” patients.  The hospital I work at is in the heart of a medically underserved community.  Many of our patients that come to the emergency department have conditions that can be easily managed through lifestyle regiments and compliance with medication.  One of the problems lies in the availability of primary care and health education.  People from the lower socioeconomic class are disinclined to pursue primary care due to a wide array of reasons.  Some of those reasons include health insurance discrepancies, transportation issues, availability of appointments, and even simply making time to go see a physician.  I believe we must place more emphasis in making health care resources available to not only these people but to everyone.  It is with this notion in mind that I want to be a physician assistant and be able to provide health care to our communities. 

A large influence in my life for me becoming a physician assistant comes from my family.  I have a wonderful wife and three amazing children who remind me every day of why I work so hard.  My greatest source of inspiration comes from my youngest daughter.  At sixteen months old she was diagnosed with autism.  It was one of the most trying times when we found this out but together my wife and I have stayed positive in managing our daughter’s condition.  We are fortunate enough to have many resources at our disposal.  Numerous programs offer therapy at little or no cost and are relatively easy to work with.  Our daughter with the help of these therapies has made tremendous progress in her development.  Reflecting on this experience, I believe this is how any kind of medical or psychiatric condition should be met.  When there is a problem at hand there should be an available solution.  Everyday many people with medical conditions and cognitive disorders go untreated or even undiagnosed.  I know that when I am a physician assistant I will not be able to completely reconcile this problem, but I know I will be able to contribute to the solution. 

My motivation for becoming a physician assistant lies in taking care of my family and my fellow man.  My years of working in health care have laid down a solid foundation for me to grow upon within the medical field.  My life experiences have shaped and molded me into someone who can take on any challenge that lies along the way.  It is my goal to someday become a physician assistant and with my drive and determination I know in my heart that day will come.   

• 2 weeks later...

Archived