Anyone have any experience using a Recruitment company?

I am a soon to be graduate this year and have been applying to jobs but most seem to be through these recruitment agencies that act as the middle man between the the applicant and job. I have posted my resume on a few of these job sites and often get phone calls from all these recruitment agencies that I have never heard of. Any one have any experience with this?. One of my former professor said to stay away from these companies without much of an explanation. Any advice or shared experience with these agencies would be great. 

Thanks!

In the mid to late 90s there seemed to be a bit of recruiting activity for PAs. This seemed to be less so in the 2000s with it picking up now. Every PA centric conference I go to, SEMPA, AAPA, has a vendor list packed with recruiters. I think these individuals could get you in front of employers you may not be able to access but you have to look at the terms with them. If the recruiter is going to take a % of your salary for first year then that is BS. If a facility or organization is going to pay them direct and there is nothing you have to pay out then that is a reasonable option. Caveat is to look over your contract with new employer and make sure you are not on the hook to reimburse employer for recruitment expenses if you leave within certain time period. I think you also have to do your homework and evaluate the recruiter, their longevity, experience and success.

Good luck.

G Brothers PA-C

Archived