Need a Realistic Point of View!!

Hi I just want to get some opinions on my chances of getting into PA school.  I just finished 2 years of pre-reqs and finished my CASPA application.  Unfortunately when I was in undergrad my grades suffered due to college athletics, ran in XC and track and field, and being undecided on a degree plan. I ended up with degrees in Exercise Sports Science and Health and Wellness Promotion and finished with a 2.6 GPA.  After a couple of years experience working in corporate fitness as an Athletic Director, I grew up and went back and got my Master's in Sports Management and ended up with a 3.3 GPA.  It was a great experience and did my internship with the Final Four.  I got married and we ended moving to a town where I had to basically start over.  Fortunately, I got a job working as a PTA and did that for a year for an orthopedic surgeon and shadowed PA's while in that position. After he closed his PT clinic I got a job teaching PE and Health and coached Cross Country and Track and Field and the college level.  Recently I got divorced and went back to school and took my science/prereq classes which I ended up with a  3.9 GPA.  During this time I got accepted to nursing school and contemplated whether I should do it since PA was my ultimate goal.  After a semester of classes and clinicals I told my instructors that I was going to leave the program because I wanted to continue my pursuit of becoming a PA.  I had two more chemistry classes and found that it was nearly impossible to take those classes along with nursing school.   I left on good terms and they understood my passion.  (As a matter of fact one of them wrote me a letter of recommendation). Anyway, because my undergrad GPA was so low, 2.55, my cumulative calculation with my Master's 3.3 GPA, and science GPA of 3.9 come out to a pathetic 2.9.  I didn't realize that my GPA would barely move an inch with these recent classes.  I am so disappointed and feel like I wasted 2 years of school.  I devoted so much time and effort and worked so hard to get straight A's.  Now after realizing my GPA barely moved did I waste my time for nothing?  I am realist and can take the truth.  :-) 

I am no expert in this field, but from what I am reading, things do not seem hopeless to me. You have a really strong science GPA and have shown that you are motivated and capable of getting good grades. You have put a lot of work in completing the prereq's these past two years, you should definetly apply! You will never know unless you try!

Archived