Anyone willing to critique my fifth try at a PS, ASAP!

So, this is my fifth attempt at trying to put my ideas in more of a story mode, while also serving to be impactful on the admission committee. Any comments would be much appreciated! I hope to have this sent in by the end of the month.

“Again,” said coach, “212,” we panted. It was a hot practice during “hell week” of football. Our mantra was “212”, the point at which water boils and can be used to power locomotives. At 211°, water is liquid, but adding one extra degree catalyzes a dramatic change. “212,” meant adding the one extra degree of effort. While many of my teammates took this to heart only on the field, I learned that an extra degree of effort should be put forth in all aspects of life. The character developed on the field caused me to strive for an occupation that was more than just a job. By treating each situation with the same extra degree of effort that helped us win refine this search. Experiences along this path taught me how to embrace challenges, using them to mold myself into an empathetic caregiver, communicator, and team member, all of which will serve me well in the role of a Physician Assistant.

Perhaps my biggest fan, and the person who provided one of my most pivotal life experience, was my grandfather. He went to all of my sporting events, even as Alzheimer’s was eroding his mind and he couldn’t remember which number I wore. He was well known in town, having owned a shoe store on Main Street for 50 years. The way he treated people inspired me as he oftentimes cut deals for families so their children could have new shoes for school. He preached to treat everyone with respect.  At my games people would come up to shake his hand, even when he wouldn’t recognize them. As he succumbed to the disease and the inability to care for himself brought him into our home.  My first experience with caregiving was a joint effort between my mother, an RN, and myself. Taking care of my grandfather forced me to reevaluate my priorities, and see beyond my own needs. Helping him until the end taught me the value of compassion. When I look at a patient today I see my grandfather, and remember to treat them with the dignity that he instilled in me.

Unfortunately, each patient one deals with is not a relative or an adoring fan. Working at Mayo Clinic I have witnessed the frustrations of providing care for confused or uncooperative patients. My time with these patients has shown me the importance of communication and establishing trust between patient and provider. For instance, while caring for an elderly Cambodian woman who was abandoned by her family, my job was to familiarize her to her surroundings. Her inability to understand English made this a daunting task.  Despite the efforts of a translator, she refused to cooperate with the doctors. Over the course of the day I showed her around the hospital, where she marveled at all of the commotion. Later, I could tell by her body language that she was in distress and she broke down weeping. I took her hand to let her know not everyone had abandoned her. At the end of the day she gave me a big bear hug, a hilarious sight according to my coworkers, as I towered over her. Being able to help her and get her to cooperate with the medical team through nonverbal communication was a great feeling, one that I hope to experience again in an area where I can provide even more of an impact.

While healthcare certainly has its challenges, I have seen that the collaborative team effort between the medical teams and nurses produces the best results for our patients. I have learned that you are only as effective as those around you. Whether it is working to support a young child with cancer, organizing events for Special Olympics, or building houses for Habitat for Humanity my time involved with organizations has shown me that the greatest part of being involved in teams is working with, lifting up, and teaching others on the path to a common goal. Seeing a bedridden patient walk through the door as they head home has shown me the greatness that can be achieved when nurses, doctors, and PAs work in tandem. As a result a physician assistant is an alluring occupation, as I would be working with a team of likeminded individuals in order to motivate patients on their path to a healthy lifestyle.

Each of my life experiences has shown me the setbacks and challenges faced in life provide crucial learning opportunities. The other principle of 212 is the idea that no matter how many times you fail, all that matters is to embrace and grow from that struggle, using it as fuel to continue on your path. I look forward to the challenges of the coming years. By using each experience and setback as a means to further develop myself in the role of a PA, I plan on becoming the best care provider possible. I have learned that any challenge is only conquered by fully dedicating your heart and mind into the task. Being a care provider isn’t always easy, but by tackling each goal with an extra degree of effort we can provide each patient the means to lead a happier, healthier life.

Archived