Introducing Assistant Physicians?

Missouri is looking to pass a bill that would allow medical school graduates to practice medicine without the completion of a residency. They will practice under supervision for a period of one month, but then can practice independently. To further confuse patients they will be called Assistant Physicians, but can be called a Doctor unlike Physician Assistants.  The author states these new doctors will have more schooling than physician assistants thus making the argument they are more qualified at this stage to practice independently, unlike PA's. Obviously the AAPA is against this as it will clearly already further confuse our patient population about the concept of the PA. 

I understand the amount of resources, time, education and money it would take to move away from the name Physician Assistant, but I say let them have it and pivot ourselves into Advanced Practioners!

http://www.epmonthly.com/whitecoat/2014/06/assistant-physicians-coming-to-missouri/

I was hoping this had been quietly killed since the other thread died down. But I guess now it's on the governor's desk for signature. Hence the news outbreak.

What a terrible alternative to just getting these poor med school grads into residencies.

Sent from the Satellite of Love using Tapatalk

Creative licensing such as this will be a boon to states since each of these extra providers will have to pay significant licensing fees to the states each year.When the assistant physicians can’t fill the void in access to care, next up will be medical students who independently treat patients in remote campsites and who receive a “Assistant Physician Aide” designation.When still more providers are needed, Missouri can then license college students who have completed 12 hours of Basic Life Support and who have any scouting merit badges, calling them “Pre Assistant Physician Aides.”

Ahhhh yes, always $$ involved. This sounds like a circus with the assistant physicians(if not available, we'll just go to da nex1 george)--> Assistant Physician Aide --> Pre Assistant Physician Aides(head explode!).

Makes me wonder what Doc in their right mind would agree to collaborate with these assistant physicians? What possible benefit is there for the Dr?

Archived