Calculating PYH on E-cigs

How do you calculate pack-year histories for electronic cigarettes?  The European use this:  http://smokingpackyears.com/calculate but I have not found anything in the websites of Am Lung Assoc or the Am College of Chest Physicians.  Is 20 mins of 18mcg e-cig equal 1ppd?  I honestly don't know te answer to this one.  I would greatley appreciate a link if anyone has one.  

BTW, moderators, I did not see a "Pulmonology" sub-forum under the "Specialties."

I have no good reference for you, but I wonder why you want to convert ecigs usage to a non equivilant pyh count? The risk factors you are accounting for are not based substantially on nicotine mg, and we don't understand the long term effects of inhaling the vapor fluids.

TL:DR- It is an apples to oranges comparsion so there is not a good way to make them equivilant in a clinical sense.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

AAA abd ultrasound screening.  Better documentation means easier for insurance to cover tests.

If you are participating in the PQRS CMS Program--need accurate documentation of the smoking screening and cessation.  You cannot call a patient non-smoker if they take other forms of nicotine.

Those little details are kinda necessary in a clinical sense.

I see where you are coming from with it now. Clinically I think calling it a pyh would be pretty innacurate no matter how you slice it, but insurance companies wanting things documented a specific way make it harder. If forced to I would record it like nicotine replacement therapy abuse like gum or inhaler rather than as smoking.

Dunno. Good luck!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Archived