I was speaking with someone today and she said the only limitations a PA has are schedule II & signing orders on CT/MRI's. I realize this is state dependent. I'm in GA but have worked in SC. I just looked at limitations to PA practice for GA & CT/MRI is not mentioned.

Is this something I missed? I order them almost daily and interpret them. I've also done my own fluoro for some cases in the past, not now. At the time we reviewed the law and it was ok.

I was told if I worked at this practice and ordered a CT or MRI the MD would have to sign the order that I couldn't. Ive always signed my name to everything.

Review the pa legislation ( is a state statute), which will enumerate what legislative okay and no-no s there are a-la " the PAs may not prescribe heavy metal therapy, for example. Read this and see if there are legislative prohibitions.

Then review the enabling legislation from the medical board ( which can be more restrictive). Again look for specific prohibitions.

Then review the institutional PA credentials...

Many times it is this, the institutional requirements ( driven a lot of times by insurance reimbursement) that have created the problem.

If it is not insurance but departmental ( eg radiology doesn't want the PA to be independently ordering invasive, expensive or high exposure tests without MD involvement).. Then you have an opportunity to change things.. Education, politics, and interdepartmental meetings to change the status quo.

Same for drugs. Georgia is terrible for PAs. It will take a multidisciplinary task force to get the legislature to enable the PAs to write for CNII... Emory, GAPA, GaBoardMedical Examiners, Ga board pharmacy, etc...

Review the pa legislation ( is a state statute), which will enumerate what legislative okay and no-no s there are a-la " the PAs may not prescribe heavy metal therapy, for example. Read this and see if there are legislative prohibitions.

I know I frequently prescribe heavy metal in large doses- I find it very therapeutic :)

tumblr_lk6qfoodLe1qj778qo1_500.jpg

Archived