Health issue, "C" in chem 2

I work full time and have a family. When I took Chem II and the lab I received a B in lab, 2cr, but unfortunately I received a C (79.1) in lecture, 3cr. I have had a nebulous autoimmune/inflammatory condition for years and I suffered a bad bout with it during that semester. I had to go to many doctors appointments, some out of town, along with my other responsibilities. The condition is under control and I'm feeling better now, currently knocking out Microbiology studying for the GRE. I'm planning to apply this cycle. Should I explain this C in my personal statement? I also had a C in A&P 1 lecture, but retook it and made and A, so I'm not worried about it. I have a couple of C's in non science courses from long ago (one dual enrolled from high school) and I'm not worried about those. I hope I'm correct in thinking that way. All of my science courses besides those listed I made As and Bs. As and Bs in statistics courses also.

I have a very similar situation to yours. I dislocated my shoulder while in Chem I and missed a quiz and a lab experiment. Because the labs are always unforgiven with no makeup, I ended up with a C in the class (I was .8% from a B but the professor wouldn't round it up!) Anyway, I am applying this term and I added one sentence to my statement about how my grade suffered due to my injury, but it gave me the opportunity to setup a shadowing session with the PA that treated me. (Btw, it was very neat to shadow an orthopedic PA assisting in surgery).  Not sure if this works because I haven't interviewed anywhere yet, but I hope this helps you.  Good luck!

Thank you both! Trav6170, I have worked with ortho PAs in the OR and you're right, very cool! And I recently shadowed one! You definitely found a way to shine a positive light on your situation!

I'm thinking I should include a brief sentence or two about my situation. I appreciate any input. 

Someone else said I should just address it if I get an interview. But, I'm afraid that if I don't address it, I may not get interviews!

I am in the same exact position.  I had a few things going on while taking Chem II and as a result I received a C in lecture and a B in lab. 

I opt'ed to not address it in my PS.  Out of 150 credits I received three C's (All of them happened within the same time period)...I retook one of those courses (Micro) and received a B.  The lions' share of my grades are A's...I plan on addressing it in the interview (God willing I get some).  I hope this helps. 

I think it would not be a bad idea to address it in your personal statement or in your secondaries.  Either way, I agree that you should give it a positive spin.  Would you mention your condition anyways or only if you are going to mention this C?  If you were planning on mentioning your condition regardless (I know many applicants to med/PA who became more interested in healthcare because of their own health struggles), you can explain the bad grade in that context.  If you are going to bring it up however, the main thing is to convey that you are in good health and you don't expect this condition to affect your performance in PA school.  Another option would be to retake the course, although if you are applying this summer, some of the schools may not look at grades after you have submitted your application.  Good luck..  

Archived