PsyD

Just wondering how PsyD are referred to in mixed clinical practice where there are MD's, PhD psychologists, NP's, PA, and MSW/LCSW. Obviously they have earned the clinical doctorate, but to avoid patient confusion it would seem that there would be a better way to refer to them than "doctor". Also, many therapist do a good job of building patient trust by using their first name. Of course, I'm building an argument. But I'm still asking for other opinions and experience. Thanks. :)

Guest Paula

There was a PsyD at a practice I worked at and he was addressed as Dr. Patients were a little confused that he couldn't prescribe their psych meds but he is a competent PsyD and is well liked for his expertise.  I once had a conversation with him about gaining prescription rights.  He thought it made sense and agreed PsyDs would have to take intense pharmacology training.  Stated that in his world then would need supervision by a Psychiatrist for prescription writing.  A Dr. supervising a Dr. 

Archived