Reapplicant 2014

I'm reapplying this year also. I moved up to Alaska last year, following my dream, along with my wife and daughter. I had no luck last year.

Since then I've retaken A&P I (A) and completed Principles of Evolution (B). I've been working full-time as a medical assistant- unfortunately not in family medicine, but interventional pain management. I have five years' experience as a hospital corpsman and another six in family practice/urgent care. I was nationally certified EMT-B 2004-2006, so HCE is my strong suite I think.

My wife and I work opposing schedules and when I'm not working, I'm on daddy duty- we couldn't afford daycare and we prefer our daughter stay home anyways. With that being said, I haven't really had an opportunity to take courses at the university I attend. Which, by the way, is how most upper level courses are offered. I have enough credits for a Bachelor's degree, but I don't even have an Associate's.

Here come the violins and the tear drops.... Juuust kiddin', that's the end of my sob story. I fell in love with MEDEX after I found their website in 2012. My wife and I picked-up and moved to the other end of the continent, literally, and we couldn't be happier here. This is the only school I've applied to and the only one I will continue to apply to. Aside from just craziness or stupidity, logistics plays a small roll.

Would any of you current MEDEX students have a minute to read and critique my narratives? I've already submitted (July), but I sure would appreciate it anyways.

MEDEX loves military people and your back ground sounds strong. Military EMS/Paramedic is considered the gold standard of experience for PA schools and MEDEX is no exception. Did you get an interview last year? The average GPA accepted last class was 3.25, years of experience was 7.1 years and 21 of 22 students lived in Alaska so if you’re GPA is around 3.25 and you have good essays I think you are a great candidate this time through. Almost 23% of last year’s class was prior military and the same percentage was re-applicants. Good luck!

How To "Ace" The Physician Assistant School Interview:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Physician-Assistant-School-Interview/dp/0615480721 

This book really helped me prepare for the 8 hour interview! Many of the questions that were asked were similar if not identical to the ones that this book prepared you for. I want to emphasize that this book does not recommend that you memorize a good answer, instead it provides you with strategies on how to answer challenging career, background, ethical, and situational questions. Another piece of advice I have is to BE YOURSELF. Yes, they expect you to be prepared and know what a PA is, but they want to get to know you on a deeper and much more personal level than other schools care to do. 

• 1 month later...

Still waiting to hear back. It's really killing me this year. I actually don't know what I'll do if 3 rounds/years of apps goes by without an interview. Phew! enough of that , guess I'll just keeps fingers crossed along with everyone else. Goodluck to us all. I forgot how difficult this process is!!

Archived