Looking for PA to shadow in the LA/California area

• 3 weeks later...

It's very difficult to find a PA to shadow unless you know one personally. I was lucky to know of a cardiothoracic surgical PA and I was able to shadow him during a CABG.

But here's a way to do it formally. It's called the LAC+USC DEM Volunteer Program. It's a program where you volunteer at least one-4hour-shift per week for a minimum of 200 hours. After completion of the 200 hours, you can ask for a letter of recommendation from the Chief PA. Check it out and see if it is something you can do.

When you file your application, make sure you complete every field so that it would be processed in a timely manner. I didn't get an interview date until maybe 3 months after I sent my application since this program is in high demand by several students.

Good luck.

http://www.lacusc.org/services/volunteer/PAH.aspx

• 1 month later...

thanks for the reply!! I actually finished this program about a year ago and was wondering if anyone knew of any other volunteer places with PAs. I'm still looking for PAs to shadow personally instead of hospital settings and it's near impossible. Orangutanna, have you applied to PA school already?? who did you ask to write your letter of rec. that was a PA?

thanks for the reply!! I actually finished this program about a year ago and was wondering if anyone knew of any other volunteer places with PAs. I'm still looking for PAs to shadow personally instead of hospital settings and it's near impossible. Orangutanna, have you applied to PA school already?? who did you ask to write your letter of rec. that was a PA?

I applied to RCC and unfortunately was denied for "insufficient" HCE. I will try to appeal this May when I meet with the PD. It's definitely a long shot but it is still worth a try.

The application I sent didn't include a letter from a PA but was only my supervisors. I didn't start the DEM program until after I already sent my application in. However, when I re-apply, I will definitely ask Rodney Tyson, Du-Sheer Obeng, and Agillio Macabasco to write me a letter.

I also shadowed a PA by the name of Oscar Norona, since his son was my co-worker. But it was only once. He is a cardio-thoracic-surgical PA. So the day I shadowed him I observed him during a CABG surgery and when he followed up with his pre- and post-op patients.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived