I've heard the job market is tough for new grads, what can students do to prepare?

Hey there,

I am approaching the end of my didactic year at a PA school out of state and will start rotations soon. Reading some of the other threads on this forum has made me a bit nervous--it sounds like the jobs in the major metro areas of CA (I'm specifically interested in the SF bay) are extremely difficult to come by and many people have talked about spending months looking for a job. 

I know that as a new grad you are supposed to be flexible (I am open to working in more rural areas or even in the state where I go to school for a few years to gain experience; I am also fairly open-minded to many specialties). However, I do want to do all that I can to try for a job in the bay area. 

Do you guys have any advice on how to be a more competitive applicant in the big cities? My ideas were:

-Shmoozle and network with the CAPA and SFBAPA. Try to meet as many clinicians from San Francisco as I can while I'm in school. Volunteer at free clinics while job hunting. 

-Get extracurriculars on my resume (getting involved with my PA program, running for student positions at AAPA, doing research projects, )

-Follow potential employers (keep updated with UCSF, Stanford, etc. read news articles about them, follow their facebook pages, see if any of their professors are giving lectures at my university)

-See if I can set up a rotation in the bay area

-look up job postings while I'm on rotations to see what kind of skills employers are looking for so I can seek out the training (ie Benioff Children's just opened so I'm thinking of doing more training in Peds so I can work there). 

I am not sure how helpful the above will be and which ideas would be a waste of time, so I am open to any other suggestions! Job hunting has been difficult to come by my entire life so I am used to it and willing to work hard! 

Thanks so much! 

Sounds like you are realistic & have a good plan. Are any of your rotations in CA, or do you have the opportunity to do an elective rotation in SF area? If so, that may help build connections. If not, concentrate on doing your best in all your rotations.

I was a preceptor for years & kept files on exceptional students; I would offer references at the end of the rotation. Several students took me up on the offer and one in particular contacted me 3 yrs later when she was looking to move to CA from MI. Turns out my SP remembered her too, he knew the dept chair of the university she was interviewing at. I wrote a letter & my SP added a handwritten note...she got the job. That is ONE example. You never know what connections you may be making.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

While all of those things are fine, IMHO, doing your rotations where you want to work is the single biggest factor. 

You make connections, and they can see your drive, passion etc.

BTW, I wouldn't worry too much, they're are plenty of jobs in the bay area.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there,

I am approaching the end of my didactic year at a PA school out of state and will start rotations soon. Reading some of the other threads on this forum has made me a bit nervous--it sounds like the jobs in the major metro areas of CA (I'm specifically interested in the SF bay) are extremely difficult to come by and many people have talked about spending months looking for a job.

I know that as a new grad you are supposed to be flexible (I am open to working in more rural areas or even in the state where I go to school for a few years to gain experience; I am also fairly open-minded to many specialties). However, I do want to do all that I can to try for a job in the bay area.

Do you guys have any advice on how to be a more competitive applicant in the big cities? My ideas were:

-Shmoozle and network with the CAPA and SFBAPA. Try to meet as many clinicians from San Francisco as I can while I'm in school. Volunteer at free clinics while job hunting.

-Get extracurriculars on my resume (getting involved with my PA program, running for student positions at AAPA, doing research projects, )

-Follow potential employers (keep updated with UCSF, Stanford, etc. read news articles about them, follow their facebook pages, see if any of their professors are giving lectures at my university)

-See if I can set up a rotation in the bay area

-look up job postings while I'm on rotations to see what kind of skills employers are looking for so I can seek out the training (ie Benioff Children's just opened so I'm thinking of doing more training in Peds so I can work there).

I am not sure how helpful the above will be and which ideas would be a waste of time, so I am open to any other suggestions! Job hunting has been difficult to come by my entire life so I am used to it and willing to work hard!

Thanks so much!

I agree, try and set up rotations in the area you want to work. A lot of students will have job offers/opportunities from their rotations. Think of it as a month long interview!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived