HCE - any doulas in the house?

I'm getting my ducks in a row preparing to apply in spring 2015, and am trying to get a good plan together for gaining HCE*. I'm thinking of working as a volunteer doula (assisting mothers/families in the birth process) and wondered if anyone had any insight on how it would be perceived as HCE? 

The doula program at my local hospital involves a period of training, followed by being partnered with an expecting mother, creating a birth plan, attending doctor's visits, advocating for her, attending the birth and conducting a post-partum visit. Also, the doulas have an on call function for mothers who decide when they are admitted that they would like a doula present. I'm thinking that this will be very good and relevant experience; while I am not assessing the patient medically, I am working closely with a patient and/or family during a special (but also high stress and medically significant) time. I will often be bedside with the laboring patient, coaching with breathing, massage, etc. Does this sound like it could be compelling/relevant HCE for my application? Any doulas out there who might be able to offer their two cents?

*A bit about my specific situation: I'm another one of those career-transitioners (38 years old, 15 years nonprofit management experience, went to nursing school and didn't care for it (did graduate, though), kept my day job while in nursing school and now while working on prereqs). I'm working part-time (20 hours/week) in an unrelated field (performing arts); since I didn't care for nursing, I elected not to take the NCLEX licensing exam (now starting to wonder if that was a mistake), but do have a nursing assistant license (never worked as one, though). I've been trying to get part-time or per diem positions as a nurse assistant in order to get HCE, and can't get a second look from anyone, so I figured volunteering was a better option. 

Guest Paula

Can you still take the NCLEX and start working as a nurse?  Maybe you would actually like it once you gave it a try.  One of my colleagues, an LPN is a doula.  She went through rigorous training and does a fabulous job.  She also is a breastfeeding counselor.  Perhaps you get the nursing license, work as a doula and it should be valid HCE.  

Why do you think you will like being a PA vs. not liking being a nurse?

I agree with Paula that you really should try working as a nurse before you move on to PA.

I can't imagine anything I would rather do LESS than work as a doula (I detest OB and labor in all forms lol) but I am grateful there are people like you who want to do it :)

Speaking from a PA educator standpoint, we really don't like to see degree collectors who haven't used their degree apply to PA school. There must be some niche in which you can use your nursing education that is of value to you--I would be much more interested in interviewing this applicant than someone who had the degree but had never worked in the field. Perhaps you can find a way to merge your interests this way--that would be valuable clinical experience for sure. Good luck.

Thanks for your feedback; I thought that by volunteering as a doula (while holding a valid nurse assistant license), I would be addressing the concept of utilizing my nursing education in a niche that is of value to me. I want to be sure that I'm understanding your point correctly: are you saying it would be better to volunteer as a doula with an RN license vs. volunteering as a doula with a nurse assistant license? 

The primary reason that I opted out of getting my RN license was economical. It didn't make sense to invest in the license when I knew that I wanted to pursue the medical model offered by PA training and practice. I figured that as someone who holds a nurse's assistant license, through either paid or volunteer positions, I could gain relevant healthcare experience. 

And as for liking PA versus RN (or NP), one of the things that I learned about myself in nursing school was that I wanted to be a mid-level practitioner. I considered the NP route (which seemed logical since I was already in that pipeline), but in comparing the two curricula, felt more drawn to the PA route with its heavier emphasis on science and disease process. I felt that the nursing model left too many unanswered questions for me. 

It is often mentioned that uncommon HCE (and non HCE) backgrounds can be viewed favorably.  You would bring diversity to the classroom.  As a married male with a 1 year old, I would find value in a classmate who can provide additional perspective on child birth and non hospital postpartum care.

That said, it is shocking to me that you could possibly question whether or not having the RN license has value, in a volunteer or ANY capacity.  An RN license opens up many, many doors that are closed to me.  I have to admit to actually feeling bizarrely distraught by your view on the matter.

I think it matters little for VOLUNTEERING purposes whether you have a CNA or RN license. I do, however, think someone who completed an RN program should complete the final step and obtain a license to show that you followed that degree to completion. I also think you need to WORK as an RN in some capacity before embarking on a PA program. Otherwise programs are likely to view you as less committed and possibly a degree collector.

Archived