Undergrad help

I need some help weighing options from some Pa folk...

I've applied to an associates program but I figured I'd work towards finishing my bachelors while I wait to hear back from them just in case. This way I'm eligible for the master's programs.

Right now as I stand with my associates in natural sciences I figure I can major in psychology which is 16 more quarter classes or health sciences : community health promotion, which is 22 more classes and includes an internship. I figure that the health sci major will take about 2 more quarters than psych and about $4000 more. While psychology is shorter, academically easier allowing me to work more during school and save more for Pa school.

My questions are, will either of these majors effect acceptance to PA school granted the same GPA? And, given the health sci major has an internship although not really related to practicing medicine, does anyone think I would make social contacts that could benefit me in getting accepted to Pa schools down the road?

I don't as of yet see a better than option here....thanks for any help.

I would say that if your "work" that you are able to do is Health care related direct patient care (and paid) then do the degree that will allow you to do that. Get the HCE and dollars. The HS degree will not trump paid HCE. If your work is not direct patient care and paid, still do the psych degree and then find a paid direct patient care gig.

I do not know about other programs but our program has behavioral med classes throughout the entire didactic portion. Also it is about 6 grand a semester. So you can save money and be prepared for some aspects of PA school. You have the EMT background and I think the psych component would augment that well. The PR and Public health plays a small aspect as well, but it is less than behavior medicine. Hope that helps.

Good luck!

Archived