Hello,

I'm just looking for some guidance as to what I should do to increase my chances into PA school. When I apply I'll have an undergraduate, overall GPA, of 2.9 in Mechanical Engineering Technology. My pre-reqs will at 3.6 GPA. I have over 200 hrs as an emergency room volunteer (mild patient contact) and over 300 hrs combined in surgery room, ER, labor and delivery. I have about 100 hrs of shadowing 2 PAs and 1000 hrs of EMT job experience. I plan on applying this next cycle and was curious as to how likely I will be granted an interview. I know my GPA is my downfall but I'd like to get a sense of where i stand and what I can do. Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Rafael

Many programs have an overall GPA requirement of 3.0 and you would be able to greatly increase the pool of schools you are able to apply to if you take a few more classes to raise your GPA to that level. While applying this cycle I would work on raising your GPA just in case you have to apply a second cycle. However, that being said there are many programs that place a greater emphasis on your most recent credits. I would focus on those schools when you are applying. As far as improving your application I would say getting more health care experience will be important for you to balance out your lower GPA. Of course strong LORs and personal statement are a must so make sure you choose people who know you well that will vouch for your ability to excel in PA school and have your personal statement reviewed by multiple people. 

Archived