Path to becoming an PA?

After having trouble finding work with the degree I received, I'm looking to go into the healthcare field. I was looking at a few different options, including becoming an RN, Xray Tech, or maybe a PA. I've looked at a few PA programs and saw they all require several hours of direct patient care.

I'm 23 and don't have experience in the field at all, and was wondering how someone in my position would get those hours (fewest i saw was 200 hours). I saw becoming an EMT as an option. I'm trying to map out the future and figured that it would take me about 4 1/2 years to finish to entire process. Again, I need to take all of the science pre-requisites so I am a bit behind. 

If anyone can, please explain the process from where I am. I would appreciate the help.

I was looking at a few different options, including becoming an RN, Xray Tech, or maybe a PA.

Spend some time figuring out what you want to do--this is where shadowing would be most useful.  Without knowing where you want to go in life, I would advise against working toward any specific goal.  Getting your feet wet in the healthcare sphere may also be useful.  Taking an EMT or CNA class (or both), is a good starting point.  

I've looked at a few PA programs and saw they all require several hours of direct patient care...I'm trying to map out the future and figured that it would take me about 4 1/2 years to finish to entire process.

Consider MD/DO.  It may well be a quicker path into school.

Louis Sullivan said "form ever follows function."  Figure out where you want to go, then how you will get there. 

First thing, figure out if you really want to be in medicine, and if so, where. If possible, shadow a PA, RN, xray tech, etc. ASAP. This experience will give you some insightful gut feelings about each position to go along with the info you're hopefully searching out online and from other resources.

If you decide PA is your path, make a list of everything you have to do and put a timeline together. It all depends on your personal situation, and there's no perfect way to go about putting your app together.

Only other thing I'll say is to get minimal requirements like 200 hours out of your head. PA school is only getting more competitive, and you want to go beyond as many minimal requirements as possible. Get as much if the best experience you can.

Archived