Do I have a chance?

Before attending Kean University, I was dismissed from my previous school due to a low GPA. Basically, I flunked out. I was very stupid and immature. Since then I have grown up and succeeded in graduating from Kean University with a Bachelor’s degree in Psychology. I also worked with Autistic students for over four years and volunteered with the handicapped for about two years. However, my mother had a pulmonary embolism which resulted in her having a severe brain injury. As the only one available to care for her, I did not tend to my studies as much as I should have for about two years when she passed away. I graduated with only a 3.0 GPA and I have not established a science GPA yet. What do I need to do to have a chance of getting into a PA program? Do I need to take more classes? What GPA should I have? Volunteer work? Do I even have a chance? Anyone ever had or succeeded with similar circumstances? Your advice is greatly appreciated! Please be completely honest. I don’t want any false hopes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

You have quite the personal story. You'll have to take the required science courses for PA programs you're interested in. Many individuals with an undergrad degree do this via a post-bacc program or through CC courses. Also, while your past autism volunteer work and caring for your mother are important, you'll need to find some direct patient care work for your application (emt, tech, nurse's aide, etc.). Finally, you do have a shot. Your undergrad GPA was a 3.0, which is good, since that is a cut off for many schools. Do very well in your science courses and gain as much health care experience as you can before applying.

Sent from the Satellite of Love using Tapatalk

Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate it. Community College courses would be a lot more affordable, but do PA programs accept credits from a CC? Or will they look down on it?

Some programs accept CC credits, and some do not. Your first step is to research schools you are interested in attending to discover their specific requirements.

Sent from the Satellite of Love using Tapatalk

In another discussion in which I posted a question, I was told I was either "trolling or incapable of reading." So if I am "trolling" then I apologize, it was not my intention to. This is my first time in a forum and really do appreciate everyone's help. If I say something wrong, please inform me but do so politely. Thank you. 

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Archived