Healthy eating options during school?

Crockpot is the ticket.  I would look for a pretty good one with a timer.  Also when we are deployed a teammate of mine brings a vitamix and swears by it.  He stocks up on yogurt, veggies, fruits, and granola and blends up a meal or two a day.  Works great when we are somewhere and have access to those ingredients without the kitchen to go with it.

Hey guys, I was also wondering about healthy alternatives while in PA school without having a kitchen available and I am now considering a crockpot to put in my room that i'm renting right now. Any specific crockpots that you would recommend or that I should avoid?

Pretty much any crock pot should do. I got mine for $25 at wal-mart. I guess a timer would be an added luxury, but as long as you just cook your food on the low heat setting, there's no real risk of it overcooking. That's the beauty of a crock pot, just throw everything you want in there, give it enough time to cook (~8 hours on low), and that's literally all it takes.

My favorite and easiest recipe is chicken burritos. It takes 2 pounds chicken breast, 2 cans of black beans, 2 cans of corn, a small block of cream cheese and a packet of fiesta ranch mix. Cook that up, then roll it into tortillas and wrap them in Saran Wrap individually and freeze/refrigerate and microwave as needed.

I agree with everyone on here. Crockpot is the way to go. I stated my program in June and didn't utilize my crockpot I had. I have been using it now since starting this semester and it has been a life saver. I always have been a person who food preps on Sundays so all my meals are portioned out for the week so I that way I have a meal prepared for each weekday. I spend about 2-3 hours on Sunday doing this, but it is well worth it when all you have to do is pull out the food and eat it or just throw it in the microwave. 

Some key equipment I recommend:

-Crockpot

-George Foreman 

-Rice Cooker (these are great, especially because if you don't have a stove, they usually come with a steaming tray so you can steam vegetables)

-Microwave 

-Small refrigerator/freezer

I usually always prepare veggies (lately I have been doing cucumbers, tomatoes, and bell peppers) and fruits (blueberries, blackberries, pineapple) in containers to take as snacks during the day. Also I usually pick up clementines or apples. 

Hopefully you have access to a freezer because I think that is really key in making crockpot recipes. I have a big crockpot so I can usually get about 6-7 meals out of what I make so I will keep out a few and throw the rest in the freezer. There are some good websites out there for cheap and healthy crockpot recipes (I also have been using pinterest to mix things up).

Oh this is a struggle everyone has.  It took me half the year first to figure this one out for myself.  I ended up packing lunches every day for class and rotations.   I would bring in sandwiches, granola bars, protein shakes, cheap fruits/veggies, yogurt, and things I made in the crock pot.  Definitely would recommend getting one of those! You can make big batches of food, split it up into different Tupperware containers and freeze them so you can switch it up.  Hope this helps good luck!

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just take the time to make healthy meals and exercise.  You can't, nor should you, work non-stop during PA school.  Let cooking and working out be some of your moments of calm and sanity.  Has worked for me throughout my didactic year.

Cooking helps me to calm down as well. Especially I like to try out new recipes and baking. 

Hi. I know this may be a silly question but what do you current students eat while in school? I currently live by myself and my place has no stove. Our PA building is off campus and has no cafeteria, and there is no point in dorming or investing in a meal plan either, so people usually bring food from home or buy food. I've been eating out for lunch and dinner for the last semester and am still doing it this semester, it's getting really costly and unhealthy. So I am just wondering if anyone has any advice. Thank you

What about a toaster oven? There are some really good ones out there, and loads of recipes for cooking quality meals in them.

I buy bulk nuts (unsalted) and dry fruit (no added sugar) from Costco. Been doing this for years. A few handfuls of this goes a long way. Fairly cheap, too, considering you don't need much to make you full. Lots of fiber. Not a meal option but certainly good for snacks. 

Oatmeal in the morning with a scoop of protein powder and berries is a very quick way to start your day. 

• 3 weeks later...

I like to cook for a week as well. Rice with variations of different vegetables. In the morning I eat oatmeal with half a banana, no milk, no honey. I always have apples and carrots in the fridge for snacks because I love carrots. (And I eat carrots without hummus because don't like the taste that much). I also like cooking salad with chicken. But every Sunday I cook lasagna just because I deserve it in my cheat day.

• 1 month later...

I buy bulk nuts (unsalted) and dry fruit (no added sugar) from Costco. Been doing this for years. A few handfuls of this goes a long way. Fairly cheap, too, considering you don't need much to make you full. Lots of fiber. Not a meal option but certainly good for snacks. 

Oatmeal in the morning with a scoop of protein powder and berries is a very quick way to start your day. 

Hi Rhisopus! Can you tell what protein powder do you use? 

• 10 months later...

Archived