Inpatient Rehabilitation - good for inpatient rotation?

Hi All - I just received my Inpatient rotation assignment that is to start in 2 weeks. It is at a rehab hospital, and in looking at the hospital's website, they list their inpatient services as:  brain injury, spinal cord injury, and stroke.  This is all very interesting to me, but, I'm concerned that this will not provide enough diversity for an adequate inpatient rotation.  Anybody have any thoughts?  My program has been having difficulties getting rotation sites so I should probably just be grateful to have this one "locked in" but on the flipside I'm paying a sh*tload of $$ to a top school for a quality education.....I guess I didn't expect Inpatient to border on what seems to me to be more of a specialty rotation - am I completely off-base? Can anyone  reassure me that this is fairly common ?  thanks.

Inpatient rehab is a LOT of general medicine. You will be exposed to the gamut of CAD/CVD, COPD, diabetes et al. You will see acute neuro findings after stroke that you won't ever forget to look for later. You will likely be managing hypertension, diabetes and other common conditions. On top of this you will have a bird's eye view of what happens in rehab, which will serve you and your patients well later. IMO this is a very worthwhile rotation.

If you've already had FM or IM rotation under your belt then things will make a lot of sense. A spinal cord injury or post hip arthroscopy patients may have other comorbidity such as Afib on anticoagulant therapy, DM2 on oral regimen or insulin dep DM, COPD, & HTN/ polypharmacy and you sure must know how to manage these diseases. Sure it's Inpt rehab but what do you do when a post op pt who's on insulin for DM start crashing? Food for thought.

Archived