Time to complete Prerequisite

Hello everyone-

I am an international medical graduate currently in California. I want to peruse my carrier in health care and I find PA  a great fit for me. I went through some programs requirements and seems like they require a lot of prerequisites. I completed my Bachelors of Medicine and Surgery in China in 2009 and I have hand on clinical experiences here in U.S. I have sent my documents to WES for course by course verification and GPA conversion. 

I want to apply for PA programs next year in 2015. This is one of the prerequisites requirement of a program that i am interested in-

Pre-requisite Science Courses
8 semester hours of Human Anatomy and Physiology
4 semester hours of Inorganic Chemistry
4 semester hours of Organic Chemistry
3 semester hours of Biochemistry
3 semester hours of  Microbiology

How long does it take to complete this requirement if I join as a full time student? Is it possible to do it in 1 year, so i am ready for next year application?I am planning to join a city college here near my place. Also wanted to know how competitive are PA programs for a Foreign graduate and how competitive will it be in coming years.

Thank you and Best

Ray

Hello everyone-

I am an international medical graduate currently in California. I want to peruse my carrier in health care and I find PA  a great fit for me. I went through some programs requirements and seems like they require a lot of prerequisites. I completed my Bachelors of Medicine and Surgery in China in 2009 and I have hand on clinical experiences here in U.S. I have sent my documents to WES for course by course verification and GPA conversion. 

I want to apply for PA programs next year in 2015. This is one of the prerequisites requirement of a program that i am interested in-

Pre-requisite Science Courses

8 semester hours of Human Anatomy and Physiology

4 semester hours of Inorganic Chemistry

4 semester hours of Organic Chemistry

3 semester hours of Biochemistry

3 semester hours of  Microbiology

How long does it take to complete this requirement if I join as a full time student? Is it possible to do it in 1 year, so i am ready for next year application?I am planning to join a city college here near my place. Also wanted to know how competitive are PA programs for a Foreign graduate and how competitive will it be in coming years.

Thank you and Best

Ray

You could definitely do this in a year....It just depends how the sequence of classes works at the particular school you are planning on going to....for example, at my school organic chem was a prereq for biochem...and inorganic was a prereq for organic...so it took my three semesters because I had to take inorganic in the fall, organic in the spring, and biochem in the summer.....but I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to complete this in three semesters tops...

Thanks guys for the inputs. Now I am planning to take the course. What will be the best option online or onsite programs . I live in San Francisco downtown and I will try and talk with some of the college here. There is a city college near by, hope they have some specialties. If  I want to do online what will be the best program? I also think online course I can complete on my own pace. I will work hard to make in it 1 or may be 6 months extra. 

Thank you again for yours suggestions.

Archived