Desperately need advice...is pursuing PA too risky for my situation?

Here's my situation:

I'm 23 years old, and I don't even have my Bachelor's yet but I have about 90 credits.  I've always wanted to be in the medical field, but I've always seemed to struggle with the science courses (I do blame myself for not trying hard enough).  I've changed my major and switched schools several times.  I originally wanted to be a pharmacist, and I have several years of experience as a Pharmacy Tech at both Walgreens and CVS.  

I then decided that Pharmacy was not for me, so I left my job as a tech to pursue something totally different - a sales rep for a sign company that one of my friend/co-workers from CVS was starting.  I do enjoy the job, but I'm not sure I can make a career here.  My heart is still telling me to try and harder and pursue a career as a PA.  I've always wanted that direct contact with patients, and I have experience as a Physical Therapy Aide.

Here's the thing - I have about $50,000 in student loan debt already.  I can go back to my private 4-year school and get a Bachelors degree in Health Sciences (with a minor in Business Administration) in 3 semesters, and then start applying to PA programs.  Or, I can just settle and go to a local state college and get my Bachelors in Business in the same amount of time.

My biggest concern is the money.  Is it worth it for me to try and finish my Bachelors and then apply to PA school?  I'll have a significant amount of debt, and that's before starting any PA program.  I feel like if I really dedicate myself, I can get through these courses but I'm afraid of screwing up again.  I don't know that I'd be happy with a business degree, since the job market is tough and it's not really my passion (although I don't dread it either).

What would you do if you were in my situation?  I'd like to go back to school next month, and I still have enough time to choose either path.  I'm just scared of making the wrong decision.

I really appreciate anyone taking the time to read this and offering any advice.

If I were in your situation, I would really consider what my passion in life is. PA admission committees will be able to tell if you are passionate about the PA career. I would also shadow a PA for at least a month to see if you enjoy their job.

Science courses will be challenging no matter what and PA school will probably be even harder so applying yourself will be a MUST.

From a financial perspective, if money is the decisive factor you will be in more debt by going to PA school; there is no doubt about it. So the key for me if I were you would be finding out if being a PA will be your ideal career/ passion in life because if you are not 100% sure then it is not wise.

Archived